Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Identify Old Bushog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARHunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out what model Bushog this is. I know it is probably at least 40-50 yrs old. Any help would be appreaciated.

Also, the input shaft seal leaks and I have read you can fill these gear boxes with grease. Would it be better to do that or fix the seal? Thanks

BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gear box looks the same as a Bushhog 706, have you tried to run the numbers on the back bottom of the gear box

the real roger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What size is it? If it is 5 foot it could be a model 12

ARHunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the real roger wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:48:17 09/23/12) What size is it? If it is 5 foot it could be a model 12

It is 5 foot. I think it may be a model 12 just wasn't sure. What about putting grease in the gear box. Any opinions on this?

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the real roger that it is a 5ft Model 12 mower.

Photobucket

Got one just like it down by the equipment shed.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use Corn Head Grease that is available from Deere.

Photobucket

Used it to stop a leak on the JD #5 sickle mower.

Photobucket

Used it a couple of weeks ago to stop a leak on the 7ft Corsicana rotary cutter.

Hope this helps.

ARHunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I can change the seal on the input shaft, but if the thin grease will work and not leak that would be a much easier solution Smile .

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Besides the surface rust, it sure looks like it had an easy life and that is definitely an older gearbox judging by the looks. I can't believe how straight the deck is, not even a circle imprint from the blades like most eventually get.

See what info you can get off it, might find literature for it on ebay or similar.

There was a post on here about Grease vs 80W-90WT oil in these, my old Rhino SE-6 actually called for 0 or 00 which is heavier than 80W-90, less viscous and almost like track roller lube which is a stringy tacky type lube, almost reminds me of chainsaw bar oil.

Someone made a point about grease that I thought was good, I would not use it, unless nothing else was available, fix the seal and used the appropriate lube, its designed for splash lube applications which is what the differential/gearbox is. One of the reasons I would prefer to use the heavier oils is for maintenance, mixing greases and oils, incompatible soap bases and whatever else, has the potential to make a mess, when I want to change the oil on mine, I flip it over, drain it, and refill with Lucas 80W-90 or whatever grade, (I forget at the moment) but is stays clean and does not leak, I'm sure the seal has plenty of miles on it too !

ARHunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Billy NY wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:50:54 09/24/12) Besides the surface rust, it sure looks like it had an easy life and that is definitely an older gearbox judging by the looks. I can't believe how straight the deck is, not even a circle imprint from the blades like most eventually get.

See what info you can get off it, might find literature for it on ebay or similar.

There was a post on here about Grease vs 80W-90WT oil in these, my old Rhino SE-6 actually called for 0 or 00 which is heavier than 80W-90, less viscous and almost like track roller lube which is a stringy tacky type lube, almost reminds me of chainsaw bar oil.

Someone made a point about grease that I thought was good, I would not use it, unless nothing else was available, fix the seal and used the appropriate lube, its designed for splash lube applications which is what the differential/gearbox is. One of the reasons I would prefer to use the heavier oils is for maintenance, mixing greases and oils, incompatible soap bases and whatever else, has the potential to make a mess, when I want to change the oil on mine, I flip it over, drain it, and refill with Lucas 80W-90 or whatever grade, (I forget at the moment) but is stays clean and does not leak, I'm sure the seal has plenty of miles on it too !

Yeah, I guess I should go ahead and replace the seal. It shouldn't be too much trouble.

It seems to be in fairly good condition except for the deck being cracked in a couple of spots where the front vertical bars connect. I beefed that area up with some 2"x2" angle iron. Replaced the bearings and seals in the tail wheel hub and put on a new tail wheel. Used it all day last Saturday and never had a problem.

John Mason, Michigan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Identify Old Bushog Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any of you guys know anything about Mono Mfg, brush hogs?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.