Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

case 1294

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cundiff
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a Case 1294 about a 1984?? I think. Had coolant leaking at top of water pump, decided to preplace that thick gasket. I did so, but now is still leaking at same place, clean it all very well, put gasket back just like it was, but still leaking and maybe leaking just a little more. Any secrets on replacing that thick little gasket that is giving me fits??? Please help.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how thick is your new gasket?

Are you installing one bolt, then rotating/levering the pump up? Should take a fair amount of force to put the pump back.

I have put a coat of silicone on a troublesome donut before.

Steve Cundiff
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont know about the thickness, maybe 3/8", not quite 1/2". Not installing one bolt, there is a threaded stud at the bottom that stays in place, the yes putting gasket in the grove in water pump, then rotating in place. It did not take any force at all to get the gasket in place though, went right where it should be with no problem or force, but I did put a waterey soapy solution on it first. Does this help you with my problem??? Thanks for your help.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done a fair amount of these. It always involves using a lever of some sort to raise pump back up, as the donut is tough to compress.

Where did you get the gasket from? Maybe it is out of spec. Maybe someone has "fixed" a part of the tractor at some point in the last 30 years. Making it need a thicker than normal washer. Maybe just a CASE of tolerance stacking with a dubious quality, import, replacement, water pump????

Were the pockets where the washer sits rough cast or machined?

I will measure a new one I have here later when I get out to the shop.

First thing I would try it to drain the system, clean up your donut and install with a layer of silicone top and bottom. It shouldn't need it, but should fix the problem.

Steve Cundiff
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the new gasket from a Case dealer. The water pump appears to be original, but have no idea, I bought the tractor used. There is a grove in the water pump and also in the small block the comes off the head, about the size of a washer, but thin, and the groove looks like it was cast in the pump, like the pump came that way. I'll wait to hear back from you, before I drain the system and put back with layer of silicone, just in case you come up with something else i need to do. Thanks for all your help so far.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: case 1294 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new gaskets I have here are about .427" thick, 1" OD 1/2" ID.

I had a couple used one laying here that were sqaushed to about .325"-.350" or so.

If you gasket is close to the same thickness of mine, might just be a CASE of the replacement gasket being a little harder than the original David Brown part and not conforming to your rougher than normal castings. I really suspect a thin coat of silicone will fix it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.