Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny Falk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1964 Ford 4000 with the S.O.S. that wants to creep forward in any gear except park with the inching pedal pushed down. With the pedal down and the selector in R1 it creeps forward till I release the pedal and then it will go in reverse but it pulls the engine down a little. I have another one and it never acts this way. The problem tractor only has 600 hours on it but it sat for twenty years in a barn before I got it. There was a lot of crud in the transmission so I flushed it out with new New Holland oil twice but it really didn't make much difference. I readjusted the servos and that didn't help either. Has anyone had this problem and found the fix? I could use the help.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd say the tractor that doesn't tend to forward creep is the abnormal one. There are enough driven components in these transmissions that they normally have a tendancy to want to pull forward.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 971 creeps when cold but not once warmed up.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes! Once they warm up, the tendancy does abate somewhat.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed.

This is the reason why I installed x00 brake locking mechanisms on my 64 4000 SOS.

Dean

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with the above. Was one reason I got rid of mine....had to shut off the tractor to hook up an implement.

Mark

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Texasmark1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:42:44 09/25/12) Agree with the above. Was one reason I got rid of mine....had to shut off the tractor to hook up an implement.

Mark

My '73 4000 S-O-S creeps in just about every gear but Park until it's good and warmed up, but only if you don't apply the brakes at all. Even a light pressure on my brakes stops the creep. I put the brake lock on and get off with it in neutral without a problem.

Denny Falk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input from all you Ford guys. I did a little checking since my first post and also rechecked the bands. One thing I failed to mention the first time was that the engine would pull down so much in R2 when I release the inching pedal that it would kill it, R1 was a little less severe. The traction coupling was disconnected while I was running my tests. I checked all the servo pressures throughout all positions and all had either no pressure or around 185 psi as they should. So I don't think it is the bands. The clutches are the question, can they be warped and dragging that much to kill the engine in R2. Next I took the top off the transmission to inspect the valves to see if any were sticking and they were all functioning as they should.
The reason I think there is something wrong with this tractor is I have owned 5 SOS's and worked on several more and none seemed to creep as bad as this on does and I wanted to give this one to my son but I'm a little concerned it may be the wrong tractor for him with the creep and it being his first real tractor. I do have an 861 transmission setup I could put in it then let him have it.
Any other thoughts...

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep! Rethink your bands. Band adjustment will have no bearing on servo pressure readings . . . unless it's way wacky, as in dropped a strut.

You've got a band or bands too snug on that tractor.

rodm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 S.O.S. Creeping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:40:49 09/24/12) Agreed.

This is the reason why I installed x00 brake locking mechanisms on my 64 4000 SOS.

Dean

Do you have any photos or a parts list?

Last edited by rodm1 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.