Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2N won't turn over

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Battery was bad so has new battery--got new battery and used the tractor for few couple of hours--disconnected one battery cable to be sure no drainage would take place..went back yesterday, connected battery cable--won"t do anything....tractor is 30 miles from me so that is the first disadvantage--anyway told my Dad to check the voltage of the battery and to check all connections at starter, solenoid, ground cable. Has new battery cables--paid outrageous price few months ago for the original type heavy positive cable and braided ground cable..What am I missing?--Thanks for any suggestions..

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was it charging while running? What was the voltage when your Dad checked it?
The tractor can't really drain the battery while its disconnected so while unlikely,
maybe it wasn't fully charged when you got it and two hours of running
without it charging ran it down.
Also possible you got a bad battery. You could put a load tester on it or have the
parts store test it.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a guess from you description of the cables, did you hook the battery up backwards(won t charge but will run)6V is POS ground,NEG to the starter(solenoid)

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad called me the other day when he was going to install the new battery..He has always known to do the pos ground thing but he wanted to be sure..so I think he does have this hooked up right--will check though-Thanks

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went last weekend and like a dummy took my digital meter so could not really check the generator output correctly but my Dad took the gen. to a local shop and they said it was good--don't know but surely they checked the output. Dad knows the guy so I think he would have done the whole test-said brushes looked good and bearings were good...like you said, maybe a bad battery or weak off the shelf--they probably don't sell too many 6 volt batteries.---anxious to see what he says the voltage checks across the battery now that it has sat just a few days disconnected..Thanks for the help-will keep you posted.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no need to take a genny in to check it.. you can motor and full field it at home easy test.

also.. ditto what royse said.. was it not charging and ran bat down running... with cable off there should be no draw..

Mr. T. Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom,
If the battery checks out I would recheck the contact between the new cables ends to terminals and ground. Last year I thought my connections were good but the positive ground had corroded and would not even power the lights.
Do you have a working ammeter? If so, have you noticed if it is charging? May wish to check the belt tightness too.
Hope this helps!
Mr. T. Minnesota

sHan tn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wouldnt taking the cable off make the gen loose its charge and need to be re excited??? so when they put the new batt in it wasnt getting any charge??

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what do you think happens when you turn your tractor off?

the generator stops charging and the cutout relay opens, disconnecting armature from battery.. thus the 'cable comes off' any time the tractor is not running.

soundguy

sHan tn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well i dont know, i for some reason though i heard somebody say it kept a tiny charge when hooked up to the battery Sad

my bad il shut my mouth.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ammeter does not work-will check all connections-Thanks

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks --gotta take my analog meter next time I go so I can check the genny output..

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post back what ya find.

having a spare center 0 ammeter made up with a couple gator clips to stick inline in places also helps too.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when the cutout opens, it's not hooked to the battery.

the field pieces keep a residual magnetic charge.. that is how the genny bootstraps itself up....

if the field shoes are changed or the genny is substantially repaired or dropped alot or sat for years or otherwise demagnatized.. then you need to re-flash it..

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N won't turn over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stopped by my Dad"s place today. Connected the battery cable, put it in neutral-turned on the key and hit the starter button..Fired up like it always has..Maybe he just didn"t have the shift lever exactly where it needed to be---killed it and fired it up several times..Just hit me that I should have polarized the generator and I didn"t..reading across the battery with it running it showed only 6 volts...he said that the generator/starter shop guy did check it for proper voltage output and he said it was o.k.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.