Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

300 round nose ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need an engine for my 300. Will a VAC engine have enough power for the tractor or should I find an original 148 to replace it with? Has anyone put a VAC engine in a 300? Mine is a 2 bolt starter. Thanks for any input.

TimBinWV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 124 cu. inch VAC engine will fit, but the tractor will be underpowered. The 124 doesn't turn as many rpm's as the 148, either. (Pretty sure about that, as I've been told that here) The block from a 200 series (126 cu. inch) is, however, the same as a 148. The sleeves/pistons will fit from a 148 into it. If at all possible, find a 148. What is wrong with the 148 you have?

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The #2 rod came loose and went through the block. Trashed the piston/rod/block and I assume liner. The crank looks good. Thanks for the info.

JohnDY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 350 Round Nose hp was boosted up to 42. Not sure what block they used to accomplish it but someone might chime in that knows.

JPFL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FYI, I have a block from a 211b, I am not sure but was told it is a 148. Thanks Jim --No-Advertising-in-Forums

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John

A 164 ci dry sleeve engine was used to get the additional HP. Those engines are a bit hard to find and parts are getting scarce/expensive. The engine was only used for 3 years before it was abandoned and replaced with the 159 ci engine in 530 or 188 ci engine in the 630. - Joe

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you have an 124 CI VAC engine, and all you are looking for is a show/parade tractor, that may be an inexpensive path. Others have indicated it will bolt right up, but I have never been that lucky. There always seems to be a gotcha of some sort that elevates the cost to something close to what it would have cost to fix what I had to begin with. It also creates a problem if you ever want to sell. Mis-match tractor/engine combinations usually don't sell as well as one which is matched up correctly.

If you want to maintain the utility and hp of the 300.... The 148 ci engine with thrust washers and 2 bolt starter was/is a very common engine. If in your shoes, I would look for a good running engine, or a donor block and rebuild what you have. - Joe

Eldo case
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bottom of the 126 would have to be bored out for the 148 sleeves to fit.

Eldo case
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Done one like that. I welded up the hole in the block and had crank turned replaced rod and you know what you have.

TimBinWV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 300 round nose ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Eldo. That part wasn't related in the info I'd been told.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters