Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2N hood removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a friend who needs to pull the hood on a 2N & says the steering wheel needs to come off first. I know it doesn't on an 8N; does it need to come off on a 2N to get the hood off?

Tnx

trouttman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:06:29 09/24/12) I've got a friend who needs to pull the hood on a 2N & says the steering wheel needs to come off first. I know it doesn't on an 8N; does it need to come off on a 2N to get the hood off?

Tnx

No, had my hood off last summer to replace radiator.

trouttman

cphillips
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never taken the steering wheel off of any n-series Ford before removing the hood. The Steering wheel may need to come off for the dash to be removed but not the hood. The only time removing the hood is difficult is if a loader is involved.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, tnx guys.

Steering wheel removal is a PITA on a good day; no need to do it unless it's required!

Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get my hood off of my 2N I had to remove either the steering wheel or the air cleaner because of the stack on the air cleaner. I was going to remove the steering wheel anyway so I went that route and I think it was easier than trying to get at the air cleaner under the hood.
The cap ont the top of the stack pops right off but the hood has to come straight up.

Bodo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my 9N, the air cleaner portion that goes through the hood separates from the main body of the air cleaner. No need to remove the whole thing.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto to the NO ! You can take the whole thing almost completely apart (BTDT) without removing the steering wheel on a 2N (in my experience). HTH

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering wheel removal on a 9/2N is much easier than an 8N. Keyed shaft versus a splined shaft. I got a couple of splined shaft steering wheels that I gave up on but I never had a keyed steering wheel that I could not remove. Just don't lose the key! The hood will come off and go back on much easier with the steering wheel not in the way. Also you can lube that top thrust bearing when the steering wheel is off.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't have to take mine off except the one that was bent.
There is very little clearance.
My through the hood breather also comes apart and out through the battery compartment.
I agree with HCooke that they do seem to come off easier than the 8N
type wheels and it makes it easier to take the hood off.
I know the steering shaft can be damaged using a gear puller, but on the really
bad ones this is how I hooked up my gear puller to get them off.
This picture was of my Jubilee just after the steering wheel came loose and up against the nut.

Last edited by Royse on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:06:29 09/25/12) I've got a friend who needs to pull the hood on a 2N & says the steering wheel needs to come off first. I know it doesn't on an 8N; does it need to come off on a 2N to get the hood off?

Tnx

Wheel comes off most all N's I work on... Come up with a tool to pull'em I spec it will not be the last one you work on....I made mine out of a old steer'n wheel...

POPGUN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No! I have done it 4 times on 3 2Ns and left steering wheel on.

tesmith66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a personal preference thing. I can get the hood on and off with the wheel on (2N), but it is VERY difficult. I pull the wheel now and am much happier.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N hood removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce,

It's no different than the 8N hood removal. I just removed the hood on my '47 2N a couple of weeks ago to weld up cuts in the sheet metal. I'm guessing he's trying to do the removal solo, which might make him think that the wheel has to be removed - if he's trying to remove the hood straight up and away. I've found the the easiest way to do the solo removal is to spread the dog legs and lift the front of the hood up onto the rad filler neck. Now go to the back of the hood. There should be enough angle to carefully clear the dash just under the steering wheel. It's definitely tight, though.

HTH
Colin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.