Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Hendrickson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what is the size difference between the 2 flywheels? ca and a d - 14, i have a d - 14 with a ca engine and am trying to get the starter to turn over the motor.
Thanks

David R Inman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not exactly what you want to know, but early D14's had 92 teeth on the ring gear, and later ones had 116. But I doubt thats your problem, as when we had the 114 tooth starter in a D15 with 116 tooth ring gear (92 and 116 tooth flywheel/ring gear on D14 and D15 are the same), we just wiped the Bendix out on the starter.

The agco book shows the CA as having a 90 tooth ring gear.

I don't know about the D14, but on the D15 with the starter off, we found a way to use a big screw driver to slowly turn the flywheel, and count the teeth whale looking in through where the starter goes (mark the first tooth with something white or sliver (pen, paint, chalk)).

sorry, don't know dimensions.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it would seem to me that the torque tube would determine what starter and flywheel to use. THe D14 might be a different distance from the starter hole to the center of the flywheel as compared to the CA.. I would think if you have a D14 torque tube, you would need a D!4 starter and flywheel.... and the correct 14 flywheel as mentioned.

chalmersbob(Pa)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a D14, you would need the D14 flywheel which is larger then that of a CA for the starter gears make contact with the flywheel ring gear. If you have a CA starter, the gear count will not match. I don't think that there is any difference in the "reach" of the starters for the gears to line up.
Can you look at the flywheel ring gear configuration and compare it to the starter gear?
I know when I tried to match a D14 flywheel to a D15 flywheel, there was an obvious difference in the gears. LOL Bob

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: ca and d - 14 fly wheel sizes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The starter housing is in the torque tube so the starter and flywheel will need to be for which ever torque tube you are using. The starter and ring gear must match. The starter drives and ring gears for the CA and D 14 have different gear counts. There is not a big difference but the D 14 flywheel (will not) enter the CA torque tube bell housing because it is larger in diameter.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.