Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 K trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a GMC 1500 short bed 4 door and need to haul 7000 lbs. for pulling.Don't know if I should go with a gooseneck or tow hitch. Need advise.Thanks for any help.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I personally like the goose neck, because it places the weight proportionally on the pick up, rather than all at the back end.

acdwd45man
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a goose neck trailer, you will never regret it. Install a fold down ball hitch, then you will still have full use of the truck bed.

Western Pa Oliver Puller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just went through this last year, however you problem is total weight. The chevy is a little light in the tow cap compared to the Dodge, ford, and toyota.

However, my main concern is your total weight. Finding a trailer that is under 3,000 will be tough not to mention you have to leave room for chains, binders, etc.

Personally, I run a 011 Dodge ram with goosneck and airbags, but I am liscensed at 9990, and the trailer is 3750, and pulls a 5000lbs tractor.

So can it be done, of course, but you are asking for trouble. Also depends on what part of the country you are in, here in OH, KY, and PA, I won't dare push my luck.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if you can find a 10,000 LBS gooseneck trailer. When I was looking at both trailers and most goosenecks start out at 14,000 LBS. I went with a 24 foot 14,000 LB. hitch pull trailer . The same trailer in a gooseneck weighed 400 to 500 lbs. more than a hitch pull.I pull mine with a K 1500 GMC that was ordered from factory with heavy duty towing package. I did take the 10,000 lb. hitch off and put a 16,000 lb hitch with a 20,000lb shank and 25,000 lb ball. The truck, trailer and 6,700lb tractor scales out at 16,240lb. The truck is plated at 7,000 and trailer at 17,000lbs.

johndeerefan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are exceeding the towing capacity of your 1/2 ton truck. Sounds like you need a bigger truck. Only thing a 1/2 truck is good to pull is a lawn mower, ATV, or golf cart. I will get off my soap box now.

As far as trailers go, I prefer the gooseneck. Most all manufacturers offer any of their bumper trailers in a gooseneck. You might have to ask for it. It usually increases the price about $500.

Another thing to check if you decide to go with a bumper hitch style is whether you have a heavy enough trailer hitch. Most are only rated at 5000 lbs.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find a light 10K gooseneck and you will be ok, you don't want that on a bumper pull behind a half ton. Really I think a 10k bumper pull is about all you want on a single rear wheel pickup period. Maybe 12, but 14 is starting to ask for a scare.

whigg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did find a 12K gooseneck with a 22 ' deckover,bevertail and ramps. He pulls it with a half ton 4 door short bed. Pulls a J.D that weights 8,000 also 2 rows of big round bails.I need something to pull a John Deere 50 that weights 4,500 and 2,500 pounds of weights.Right now I am useing a 7,000 lb trailer and only towing 5,500. Ineed to go bigger if I want to pull in the 7,000 lb class.Just DON'T know what to do for a trailer. Thank you everone for the advise but still stuck between a rock and a hard place.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bri mar used to make a nice light 10K gooseneck, we had one, it would be perfect for you. I just looked on their website, they still make it.

Harvestmoonpuller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our neighbor pulls a 15000 lb 7040 AC with a 10000 lb trailer with 6 bolt hubs and a 98 half ton chevy. Its a site. Safe? Thats debatable as long as the trailer brakes are good. Hes pulled this combination ever since the truck was new and has never been pulled over. Prolly just lucky i guess.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 2 cents worth is first your way light on truck with a 1500 series, but i understand you got to use what you got, id go with a gooseneck as mentioned you need to distribute the weight thru the truck front and back and you dont have the suspension on a 1/2 ton to pull that much on a bumper pull trailer with careful loading of the trailer and keep it slow on the road as that trailer is going to try to push that 1/2 ton all over on the turns, you should make it,needless to say trailer brakes are a must, do not try it without them

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i ditched my good running 98 dodge 1500 for that reason. not enough truck to pull the loads I was wantaing to pull.. and asking it to pull.

i like GN over bumper.. but with a half ton.. you are really limited.. and will pay thru the nose for an aluminum one to maximize payload.

might be money ahead to buy a used 'beater' 1ton to tow with..

charles todd
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Chevrolet K1500 that I put a gooseneck in years ago, B&W hitch. I pull up to 70HP tractors on it, one is a 50 HP with loader. My trailer is a 20' goose with 6000 lb axles (10K trailer) with 8 ply tires. I have loaded it with 11 round bales of hay (11x1200 lb=13200 lb) with no issues. Good brakes and good brake controller. The 5.3L will tug it to interstate speeds well. I have 3.73 gears in mine. Once carried over 15000 lbs of concrete culverts on the same trailer for over 200 miles. Also a JD 350 dozer once 45 miles. No tire failures, no truck issues. Truck has 165000 miles and has only had a fuel pump. Looking for a 14K trailer with dove though.

Good luck!

CT

amfarms
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 K trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Goose neck, because the weight is more distributed

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.