Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pneumatic nailer and air compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Durrer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

building a half mile of oak board fence,
using half round pine treated post and oak boards
( green lumber) I want to purchase a pneumatic framing nail gun and also an air compressor to run it.Can someone recommend a good brand nailer gun including model and a good compressor to pair with it. thanks

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never bought a new one, but bought three at the local pawn shop/flea markets. All three worked great.

$20, $40, and I think $40 for the last one.

Craftsman, Hitichai and the last one was a Dewalt.

Gene

R Luebke

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out a Paslode Impulse framing nailer. Take anywhere, battery and gas cylinder operated. Ive had one for years, very dependable and handy to use.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pasloade is a good brand. I have a Bostitch N80S series nailer that I've used for the last 20 years. Its a good gun too however I think if I were you if you didn't plan to be a professional framer I would buy a cheap gun at Harbor Freight. The compressor you could get more use for with other things so I would buy a Speedaire Compressor. I have one I bought more than 25 years ago and with just a very few minor repairs is stil going strong. More important than the gun or compressor is the nails you use. The treated posts are corrosive so use hot dipped galvanized or stainless steel nails on your fence project.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom,
I purchased a Bostitch N80S 20 years ago. Had to replace the trigger. You can get parts for Bostitch. Have a Bostitch coil nailer for shingles. It cost me almost $100 to have it rebuilt. The O-rings inside will eventually need replaced. Could have bought a chineese model for less.

It's hard to say where Bostitch is made today. Like everything else, doubt if it's made in the USA.

As for air compressors, I WILL NEVER buy another oil-less air compressor. They are very noisy and if you take one apart you will see just how cheaply they are made. Don't remember the brand compressor I purchased 20 years ago from Furrows. It's a 1.5 hp, has 2 small tanks, light enough to carry around and can run 2 roof nailers at the same time. There are chineese knock off that look like mine. Key thing is make sure there it has oil in the crankcase.

My contractor has a honda powered air compressor. May want to think about that if you don't have long extension cords, generator or many air hoses.

George

M-MAN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Way too much work dragging an air line, compressor and generator along a fence line. The gas fired Paslode will do what you want & it's lighter than carrying a cordless drill. Theyre not cheap but neither is a decent compressor and air gun.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Airmate compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom,
my portable compressor is Airmate by Emglo. It's 20+ years old and still ticking.

I don't have a self-contained gas nailer. Don't know the cost to operate it either, so can't say how much it costs.

Can say my contractor uses pneumatic nailers and gas powered compressor. My guess is if there was a savings, he would convert ot self-contained nailers.
George

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

agreed.

Go "wireless"

You"ll be glad you did.

Tom Durrer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information. Tom

GeneSC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pneumatic nailer and air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paslode pneumatic or gas!!!
BOTH are "no problem" guns

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.