Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3000 won't run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony Pawlowski

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, again I need your know how. My 68 3000 just quit running in August. I thought it was the carburetor, so I took it apart to clean it, that is when I found that the flout was wired up because one of the ears inside was broken. So I put a new carburetor on, no luck. so I replaced the coil, condenser, points no luck, again no go. I need you help, where do I look next. Fall is here and I need to get it running before my wife kills me for spending so much money. any help would be great.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to troubleshoot the problem instead of throwing money and parts at it. There's 3 things that a gasoline engine needs to run, a good fuel/air mixture in the cylinders, compression, and a good spark at the right time.

First, pull one of the spark plug wires off of the plug and place the end of the wire near a good ground, like a clean spot on the engine, and crank the starter. Do you get a good bluish white spark that jumps at leas 1/4" gap? If not, then try the same thing with the distributor end of the wire that goes from the coil to the center of the distributor cap. Report back the results.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you mean by just quit? Did it start running funny and sputtering coughing and eventually stalled? Or did is quit like someone turned off a switch? What they do just before they quit is a hint to what's causing it. Don't just throw parts at it you need to trouble shoot it and find out what's wrong with it.

Anthony Pawlowski

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that I just added parts, it needed them, they were old and worn. I have replaced only the parts worn and weren't working. It was running rich and loseing power then it quit.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that's not what I read.

I read you THOUGHT you had a fuel problem.. eventally put on a new carb.. didn't run, then you whole hog repalced the ignition electrics.

i didn't hear any troubleshooting in there.

so.. now that you've thrown parts all ove rit and it still won't run...

does it have spark?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

@1 check for a good blue/white spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap.. Do you have that at the coil wire the center wire on the cap and also at all 3 of the plug wires??? If you do not that is where your problem is. If you do then
#2 pull the carb drain plug and let the gas flow for a few minutes. Catch the gas to look for dirt/rust/water. Then
#3 pull the air tube off the carb and make 1000% sure it is out of gear and spin the engine over while holding you hand on the carb intake. You should both have gas at the carb and on your hand and also have a good suction there.
Post back and tell us what you found so we can then help you help your self

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anthony Pawlowski wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:17:10 09/25/12) Not that I just added parts, it needed them, they were old and worn. I have replaced only the parts worn and weren't working. It was running rich and loseing power then it quit.

How could you tell that the condenser was "worn"?

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anthony Pawlowski wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:17:10 09/25/12) It was running rich and loseing power then it quit.

Running rich usually means not enough air. Have you checked the air filter? Maybe there's a bees nest in there clogging things up.

Anthony Pawlowski

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 3000 won't run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe I missed saying I did trouble shoot everything. I checked for good gas and air flow, I have good spark, plugs are fine, the timing is right, the distribuer is clean and no oil in it, but It won't fire up. Is there a timing chain on this engine or am I too close to the forest to see the trees. I replaced the old parts because they have been on the tractor from when it was new. What happen when it quit, I was grading my driveway and it started to miss and spudder then it quit and would only crank.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.