Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front wheels with loader

View previous topic :: View next topic  
59junior
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the loader installed on the 8n and while it works great the front 3" x 16" ribbed wheels are woefully inadequate. What is the heaviest duty rim and tire I can get to help The weight up front better? I have seen 4.5" x 16" at around 2300lbs capacity. Is there something better or is that pretty much the upper limit. Thanks in advance!

wes(MI)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They do make make some 5.5" width wheels but unsure of their cost. I usually get old truck rims and cut the centers out and weld in ag repair centers on mine. Two repair centers are the same cost as one ag rim in my area. And junkyards are happy to get $10 out of bent/ rusty rims too.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

59junior wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:27:45 09/25/12) I had the loader installed on the 8n and while it works great the front 3" x 16" ribbed wheels are woefully inadequate. What is the heaviest duty rim and tire I can get to help The weight up front better? I have seen 4.5" x 16" at around 2300lbs capacity. Is there something better or is that pretty much the upper limit. Thanks in advance!

I opted for the 5.5 x 16 wheels with 5.5 x 16 3 rib fronts on my (loader-less) 8N - I like them far better than the 3 x 16 original size.

TOH

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on a couple of my hevier loader tractors I got wide implement rims 16" and on one set put multi rib tires on it.. the other has used truck tires.. both work better than tri ribs..

John in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '52 8N with a Wagner loader has 6.50-16 6 ply 5 rib implement tires pumped up to 45 pounds.
Carries the weight well, still does not steer worth a darn, but it does what I need done.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you may have meant 3 x 19?

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The '47 2N I'm working on has P235/70R15 car tires on rims welded onto the hubs. This seems to be fairly common here for Ns that were used with loaders. I'll be removing these and replacing them with 3x19 rims & tires. If you're in Central MN, you can have them.

Colin, MN

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2300 lbs per tire is more than the front end of an N is going to handle.
Most just use truck tires/rims for an N with a loader.
They don't sink in as bad and they steer easier.
What part of Michigan are you in?
I have a set on a parts tractor in Ionia county.
If you're close we could work something out. Email is open.

59junior
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im in Howell and I work in lansing. Just got my loader attachment installed and really need to beef up the front end as it still has the skinny 3 inch wheels on it and my property is sandy loam. The damn bucket/loader is probably half or more of the weight that the tractor can handle but I still think it will do the small garden variety jobs I will demand of it. Hoping to be ready for snow removal as well. I would be gratefull to work a deal out. Thanks Matt.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the PO welded them right to the hub??? oh man....

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sent you an email Matt.

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea, no kidding! A little heavy handed, don't ya think :P

Colin

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: front wheels with loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i guess if you have a flat you have to pull the entire hub and .. guess check the bearings while you are at it.. sheesh... never seen one that bad...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.