Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blocking clutch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo's 8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had numerous people on this sight that they block their clutch. I do not intend on using it during the winter so I will for sure have it blocked. I currently use the tractor 1-2 times a week for 8 hours. My question is, should I still block the clutch or is that enough use to not worry about it sticking. The tractor is kept in the garage, not outside.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jimbo.........while constant usage will usually keep yer clutch from "sticking" to the flywheel, its so eazy to make a "block" from 2x6 and use it nitely. ........Dell

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive had a clutch stick in June, only 3 days without rain during the month.I use a 2x4 scrap, block it 1/2 way down

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto what the others said.

I have a few 'daily/weekly' use amchiens I donot block during the year.. but anything that's gonna set over a week I'll block a lil bit..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I park my 8N I block it be it 2 hours or 2 weeks before I will use it again. Learned that just because you think your going to use it in an hour that some times that hour ends up being 2 week later due to other things in life getting in the way

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why is there a problem with sticking clutches on the Fords? I have IHC H, 2 B's, 2 F12's and a Super C that don't get blocked & don't stick. Some have sat for 3 years not running. Had a IHC F20 at deer camp that sat outside for 6 years that wasn't blocked & wasn't stuck.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never blocked my clutch and I have never had it stick. I suspect my gear oil level may be lower than others or my seals are better. It is a curious deal.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know--------Dad has had his 2N for 50 yrs or more and never a stuck clutch--had mine since 04 and no stuck clutch except when I drenched it with oil due to a bad input shaft seal..nosed it into a ditch to pull the PTO shaft--flooded the clutch housing big time--it drained and dripped for days--had to split it and replace the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and input shaft seal.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Easy to block the clutch down. Not so easy to unstick it. My 1999 Kubota even has a hook and eye to block down the clutch.

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

won't blocking the clutch mess up the springs in the pressure plate?
I'm not arguing; just asking.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its got nothing to do with oil.Metal particles in the clutch facing rust to the pressure plate or flywheel.Never say never.When you get a stuck clutch you will know it.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive read that all import tactors come with the clutch blocked down.Its not a common problem but it happens.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll defer to the engineers on this site, but from what I've read the answer is no.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrong again..Mine had never stuck before--nosed it down in a ditch to pull the PTO shaft..Did the job--was in no hurry-had to stop and go to town for something--stayed nosed down for 2-3 hrs just because I wasn"t in ahurry and did other things in between--Got on the tractor to move it and the clutch would not disengage..It was then that I saw oil streaming out the cotter pin hole and I knew I had flooded my clutch due to a bad input shaft seal..maybe because it was old, the clutch swelled but certainly did not rust together during that time frame..so Yes I know from experience, oil soaked clutches cause them to NOT disengage..

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: blocking clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was no oil on the last stuck clutch I took apart.It was rusty.My clutch stuck in June when we had only 3 days with out rain,The clutch had stuck before.We had a cut down car we used to haul hay with.I had put a new clutch in the car 5 years before we cut the car down,no oil involved.The car clutch would stick until I blocked it down when it was parked.I have to say you are wrong and so will the fellows who have fixed stuck clutches.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.