Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9700 won't fire up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil9N3667
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a "75-"76 9700 Ford that he parked last fall and can"t get it to start back up, He had someone else look at it,pulled the injectors, had them tested(OK) and put back in. Fuel filters were changed and I pulled the side cover off of the pump (CAV) and found the rack travel limited due to rust on the shaft.Got it cleaned/freed up and the cold start advance will set like it should. Bled the fuel system out up to the injectors and still wouldn"t fire . Tried some starting fluid directly in the intake manifold and still wouldn"t light off. The engine has some 10,000 hours on it and I"m inclined to think there"s a wear problem here. He got a can of John Deere starting fluid and tried that- no dice. I know CAV pumps are notorious for getting air in a system and being hard to prime, but I"m thinking other wear issues here and I figure somebody here might could tell me something !! Thanks in advance, Phil.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check the intake for blockage like mice or wasps?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have an air or compression issue if it will not start on ether, be careful with that. I would verify air intake is clear then run a compression check. That should tell you if valve timing is close also.

Phil9N3667
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, I have not looked at the intake plumbing! That"ll be a good next place to look, and I"ll do it Sat. A.M.when I head back over there! The reason I got him to get the JD starting fluid is it seems to be more potent than other brands. A friend has a JD pulling tractor that would"nt start on anything but the JD brand! Thanks, I"ll let ya know what happens.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If there was enough water to rust up the inside of the injector pump, everything else is probably full of water. Pull the plug on the bottom tank and see what comes out. Is there any oil in the injector pump? It'll be a miracle if that pump runs another ten hours.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 9700 won't fire up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fritz Maurer wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:28:21 09/26/12) If there was enough water to rust up the inside of the injector pump, everything else is probably full of water. Pull the plug on the bottom tank and see what comes out. Is there any oil in the injector pump? It'll be a miracle if that pump runs another ten hours.

It is not unusual for the rack to get rusty due simply to condensation in there. But you are right, a lot of people don't know about changing the oil at every service.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.