Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12 v coil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pconnie.ks

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a way to bench test a coil

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, with a coil tester. If an ohmeter shows an open in either circuit it is bad.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

about the same as with a tractor.

of course you can get fancy with a switch, condensor and spark gap too..

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If an ohmmeter shows an open in either circuit it is bad.
If a ohmmeter shows its good it still can be bad... Twisted Evil
Its a rare event to see a ohmmeter confirm a kill....

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coil problems are difficult to diagnose. For starters, round coils are pretty robust & square coils arenít (because of the difference in insulation used), but neither one will hold up to a poorly done 12v conversion that allows too much current to the coil or leaving the key on (see tip # 3Cool. Too much current creates heat which melts the insulation. Insufficient resistance in a 12v conversion will do the same thing. Rarely do coils just ďgo bad.Ē

As others have said, there are a few ways to see if a coil is bad, but itís not possible to determine if a coil is good w/o some expensive testing equipment. If you detect a dead short or high resistance in the coil w/ an ohm meter, itís bad. If itís cracked, itís bad. If a sidemount coil w/ battery voltage to the primary will not jump a ľĒ gap from the secondary wire to the block, itís bad. But, here is the hard part: even if you do not detect a short, even if it will produce a spark, even if itís not cracked, that doesnít mean the coil will work when itís hot & under a load. So, itís a process of elimination. If the tractor starts & runs fine for 30 minutes or an hour then cuts off & refuses to re-start, and you checked for spark at the plugs & it had no spark at all, AND you have the correct voltage at the coil thatís a good sign that you have a bad coil. Let it cool off, restart it & if you have a good spark, odds are itís a bad coil. But, even then, you might end up w/ a spare coil on the shelf!

Bottom line.......coils do go bad, but I'll venture a guess that 75% of new N coils sold today are sold to folks who do not understand how to diagnose a poor spark problem or how a coil works. So, for those who donít know any better, in a no spark situation the first suspect is usually the coilÖÖand, more often than not, it isnít the problem.

So, what problem are you having that leads you to suspect a coil failure?
50 Tips

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:49:09 09/25/12) Coil problems are difficult to diagnose. For starters, round coils are pretty robust & square coils arenít (because of the difference in insulation used), but neither one will hold up to a poorly done 12v conversion that allows too much current to the coil or leaving the key on (see tip # 3Cool. Too much current creates heat which melts the insulation. Insufficient resistance in a 12v conversion will do the same thing. Rarely do coils just ďgo bad.Ē

As others have said, there are a few ways to see if a coil is bad, but itís not possible to determine if a coil is good w/o some expensive testing equipment. If you detect a dead short or high resistance in the coil w/ an ohm meter, itís bad. If itís cracked, itís bad. If a sidemount coil w/ battery voltage to the primary will not jump a ľĒ gap from the secondary wire to the block, itís bad. But, here is the hard part: even if you do not detect a short, even if it will produce a spark, even if itís not cracked, that doesnít mean the coil will work when itís hot & under a load. So, itís a process of elimination. If the tractor starts & runs fine for 30 minutes or an hour then cuts off & refuses to re-start, and you checked for spark at the plugs & it had no spark at all, AND you have the correct voltage at the coil thatís a good sign that you have a bad coil. Let it cool off, restart it & if you have a good spark, odds are itís a bad coil. But, even then, you might end up w/ a spare coil on the shelf!

Bottom line.......coils do go bad, but I'll venture a guess that 75% of new N coils sold today are sold to folks who do not understand how to diagnose a poor spark problem or how a coil works. So, for those who donít know any better, in a no spark situation the first suspect is usually the coilÖÖand, more often than not, it isnít the problem.

So, what problem are you having that leads you to suspect a coil failure?
50 Tips
I know that I shouldn't answer for him, but I can't help myself this evening! "Well, it is like this...I don't know or really understand what that black thing does & I am suspicious of the unknown, so I think the problem is the black thing." How am I doing? Wink

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
How am I doing? Wink

BAD JMOR! BAD! Laughing

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:43:50 09/25/12)
JMOR wrote:
How am I doing? Wink

BAD JMOR! BAD! Laughing
I know...spank my hand! Twisted Evil

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LMAO!

I'll save this response for later use.......... Smile

pconnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

using the 4000 backhoe..sputtered then died..no spark..no spark at points..installed new coil..no spark at points..spark at dizzy terminal..pulled terminal.. insulator corner was broke off..replaced insulator..back working..guy at oreillys shook the old coil..determined it is bad..new coil has fluid slushing inside..old coil does not..trying to decide if i want to see if oreillys will take new coil back..thats why i thought i might be able to bench test to determine if old coil is good without replacing it on the tractor..im ate up with arthritis..nothin is funny bout this..thanks for all interest phil

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pconnie wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:40:02 09/26/12) using the 4000 backhoe..sputtered then died..no spark..no spark at points..installed new coil..no spark at points..spark at dizzy terminal..pulled terminal.. insulator corner was broke off..replaced insulator..back working..guy at oreillys shook the old coil..determined it is bad..new coil has fluid slushing inside..old coil does not..trying to decide if i want to see if oreillys will take new coil back..thats why i thought i might be able to bench test to determine if old coil is good without replacing it on the tractor..im ate up with arthritis..nothin is funny bout this..thanks for all interest phil
There are all kinds of ways to rig up something to simulate the distributor/condenser/points opening & closing and observe a HV spark (something of a coil test), but unless you have a shop full of "stuff" & want to spend the time, sticking it back on the tractor will be the quickest & easiest you can do. Keep in mind that most parts supply places have a no return policy on electrical parts........because they, too, don't know how to verify that the part is still good after you have had it out of their sight.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phil.......You first asked "Is there a way to bench test a coil". I flunked mind reading, just ask my ex-wife of 32-yrs.

Now you explain WHY you are concerned 'cuz the insulative oil inside the round can coil "sloshes". As a general rule, yer roundcan coil should NOT slosh. Taker back and complain. Don't be surprized iff'n they won't exchange. Usually parts stores have a sign on the wall "NO ELECTRICAL EXCHANGE" .......the mindless Dell

rossow (mn)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not relevant to technically testing a coil, but... Both of my 8Ns have been converted to 12-volt, so when I go to car swap meets, yard sales, etc., I pick up new/used round coils when they're cheap, just to have a spare or two or three available for "testing" purposes. Got one new in box for $1 this summer, and another "slightly used" for $3 at a swap meet a couple of weekends ago. The same coils fit my N's as fit my old Novas and Chevelles and '55-57's, so it's easy to swap them around to pinpoint a bad coil. Pretty sloppy approach, perhaps, but it works for me at very little expense or effort.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 12 v coil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rossow (mn) wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:14:42 09/26/12) Not relevant to technically testing a coil, but... Both of my 8Ns have been converted to 12-volt, so when I go to car swap meets, yard sales, etc., I pick up new/used round coils when they're cheap, just to have a spare or two or three available for "testing" purposes. Got one new in box for $1 this summer, and another "slightly used" for $3 at a swap meet a couple of weekends ago. The same coils fit my N's as fit my old Novas and Chevelles and '55-57's, so it's easy to swap them around to pinpoint a bad coil. Pretty sloppy approach, perhaps, but it works for me at very little expense or effort.
Same here. Got a box sitting here under the bench with 7 in it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.