Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gosh, when did 5/8 rubber fuel line become such an obsolete part in this country??? I am repairing what I thought was a leaky gas tank in a 77 GMC van and found out it was just the hoses rotted away. No problem I thought, I will just drop the tank and buy a couple dollars worth of hoses and good as new. $44 dollars later I still couldn find a supplier of the 5/8" hose. NAPA, Autozone, O'reilly, the local Freighliner Dealer nor the Local Chevy dealer carries it. I had to order it online from a place in a 25 foot roll. I must be getting old, because the easy repairs are becoming very hard and costly. A new tank was $200 bucks so Im glad Im out thatm but now I have $75 or more in rubber that goes from the tank to various other parts of the van. CRAZY!!

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU DON'T WANT 3/8" ID FUEL LINE ????? That's what all my old Chevy's had on them.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you had a Advance auto parts store they stock it but you have to take 25 ft. at a cost of $42.00.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is hard to find 5/8" heater hose. I found an old gas station that had a hunk the length I needed and he just gave it to me.
Like below, I have never seen 5/8" gas line on my big trucks. That would be one honker of a fuel line.

ArkanDan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too was thinking 5/8" fuel line might be a bit much for a passenger vehicle. Egads! Can you imagine feeding a machine that requires that size line at today's prices? 3/8" or even 5/16" should surely be enough for fuel.??

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carquest carries it. $2.50 a foot.

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No its 5/8ths. Its on the return to the filler neck of the tank.

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my napa store used to furnish me with 'multi-purpose' hose in a bunch of differant sizes--used it for fuel,p/steer return, trans lines, etc-

CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Updates please! I have to keep an eye on this, as something just doesn't sound right. A return line should not need bigger line than supply.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh those are that size. Is it a form fitted hose also ?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got 5/8 hydraulic return line from hydraulic supply store. Heater hose will get soft when exposed to gasoline or oils.

bob15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The truck is 35 years old and not a lot of them are on the road, so carrying a somewhat odd hose isn't beneficial to them, in regards to inventory. That being said, McMaster Carr sells in for about half of what you paid. Hydraulic hose makers or lube equipment dealer might also sell it, similar to the below link.
Automation

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Marine hardware stores carry it as fuel tank vent hose. Don't substitute heater hose. If you can't get it locally, West Marine sells it online by the foot.
West Marine fuel hose

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its the return or vent or pollution vent to the filler neck. The filler neck is where im talking. Supply to the engine is 3/8

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 5/8 rubber hose/fuel line became such a hard find?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No just a simple hose held on by 2 hose clamps. Didn't think finding it would be such an ordeal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.