Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know what urethane modified alkyd is?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Anyone know what urethane modified alkyd is? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am getting ready to paint a rusting and peeling 8n using the lye and pressure washer method rather than full strip followed by brush and rattle can.
I was going to use Rustoleum, but while at the hardware store noticed they have a "urethane modified alkyd enamel" for a little more money. I know alkyds have a reputation for fading quickly, but just about every reasonably cheap paint I can find - Rusto, TSC, NH and Zero Rust - suitable for what I am trying to do (as opposed to expensive automotive paints) turns out, on careful reading of the label, to be some sort of alkyd.

Anyone know what "urethane modified alkyd is? Any suggestions on other paints that might be a better bet than Rusto?

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what urethane modified alkyd is? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Urethane may be the wrong term, but the company should know what they have. There is a product called acrylic modified alkyd enamel, which is the old alkyd enamel with acrylic properties, one of which is UV inhibitors to slow fading. Some or all of the tractor manufacturers sell this product, along with some of the paint companies. It is not as good as urethane, but considerably better than straight alkyd enamel. You might check with your New Holland dealer and see if they know what paint they sell. CaseIH used to use the term acrylic modified on the can, not anymore, far as I know. JD and NH are likely the same. My guess is that is what Rustoleum is selling -- I would trust the dealers paint more than Rustoleum -- probably made by Valspar, they may make the Rustoleum version too.

kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what urethane modified alkyd is? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best I can figure out, it is possible to make a alkyd that has been spiked with another, tougher, resin - most often (for car and tractor paint) acrylic, but urethane can also be used. This seems to create a hybrid which falls somewhere between the tractor and utility alkyds and the expensive two part automotive finishes in performance. Better resistance to fading is one of the advantages often mentioned.

This would seem to be a useful thing, then, for those of us who are not trying to do a show finish, but rather just get some paint on a working tractor, to keep it from rusting away. But how good they are probably depends on how much urethane they are using - like the pancake syrup blends you buy in the supermarket that have 0.5% real maple syrup!

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what urethane modified alkyd is? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here ya go, it is a high performance industrial coating.
Industrial Urethane Alkyd

Industrial Urethane Alkyd Enamel is a high solids, high gloss, 2.8 lb/gal VOC compliant coating intended for interior/exterior use in industrial environments. It is easy to brush, roll or spray. Provides performance comparable to Silicone Alkyds

Modified with urethane resin for increased durability and ease of application
Resistant to chipping and flaking
Resists yellowing
Abrasion resistant
Appropriate for interior and exterior applications
Good gloss and color retention

Recommended Usage

For use over properly prepared substrates in industrial environment. Appropriate applications include:

Steel stairs and walls
Structural and miscellaneous steel
Machinery and equipment
Handrails
Safety and pipe marking
Pipe racks
Conforms to AWWA D102-03 OCS #1
For longer lasting aesthetic performance, topcoat with Sher- Clear 1K Acrylic Clear Coat
Suitable for use in USDA inspected facilities

Acceptable for use in high performance architectural applications.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.