Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type of Primer to use on an older trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Type of Primer to use on an older trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought an equiptment trailer. It has an expanded metal floor,which I probably will not try to paint. The frame has old paint and rusty metal. I know I need to clean up the rust. And I know that if I paint over the old paint it may flake off a month from now. I have heard that Epoxy Primer is the best, but I don't like the idea of buying a gallon of expensive primer to do a mediumm size job and then let the prime set in the can for 10 months until I might need it again. Or does it have an indefinite shelf life?
Is there a good alternative? A second best?
Thank you
Steve

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type of Primer to use on an older trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The epoxy primer should have a longer shelf life than the catalyst but kept sealed up should last 10 months.

To me the job dictates the type of paint. If you were painting a car or restoring a tractor which takes a great deal of preparation, then I would say you should use the epoxy primer. For a equipment trailer I would just use an alkyd primer and paint. Its not as durable but should last 3-4 years and you can just shoot it again in an afternoon if you don't let it completely fail. A lot depends on the color. Paints with red in it fades a lot faster than other colors. I painted a trailer gray in summer 2009 and it still looks good. Only places where I have damaged it with chains are rusting.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type of Primer to use on an older trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have often said to not put expensive paint over a quick prep job, but I think that a trailer is a little different in that it gets more abuse than other vehicle paint so adhesion can be a problem. If you plan to tip it up and be sure to get everything loose of with a cup-type knotted wire wheel I would go for Epoxy, otherwise Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.