Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1948 G Power Trol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cogger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on my 1948 G and have Power trol questions. This tractor is new to me. I plan to be using a 101 corn picker on it and need the rock shaft to work. I replaced the pump housing, which was cracked. I have it back together with what I believe are the correct plugs in. The have the hole on the front of them. The rock shaft does not move. I can hear the engine work a bit as I engage the PTO. The pump gets pretty hot as if the oil is circulating around in it. It has new oil in it. I used hydraulic oil. I did take a klarge wrench and move the rock shaft into the down position. Where shuold I look next? Thanks, Paul

cogger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should add that I learned this tractor had a live hydraulic pump off the mag side of the governor. When I took the pump off, the idler gear had been removed. I replaced the idler gear. It was suggested to me there may be some sort of block off plate inside the valve body.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the live pump there would of been a plate added to where the valve body bolts onto the rockshaft housing. The plate is fairly thin.
You should still be able to get a new gasket from Deere.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The normal Powertrol uses 10 w oil. Not sure if that is your problem.

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cogger, if you still have the live pump the idler gear is supposed to be removed in the original pump. If you put it back in along with the live pump you will have the problem you are having. Take the idler gear out if you have the live pump. Mike

cogger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The live pump is no longer on the tractor. It wasn"t when I bought it. Sure enough, there was a block off plate behind the valve body. It"s back together and seems to work. The rockshaft is hard to move down, even with a big wrench. Hopefully it will will work into it. Thanks for the fast replies! Paul

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, I think the powertrol uses 30 wt non detergent oil. Same as originally specified for the crankcase.

Kurt

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 G Power Trol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt, you are absolutely right, my error. The PTO clutch uses 10 w. I've been using 10-30 in both for a million years or so - no problems. I now use 15-40 Rotella in the engine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.