Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 3020 Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint Barnhart
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: JD 3020 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 3020 JD Diesel. I replaced the fuel sending unit and the fuel gauge reads full no matter how much fuel is in the tank. The fuel gauge is new. Any ideas on what I can do fix this?

jddave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say your gauge is new. Is it a John Deere part or another replacement item? Some John Deere gauges replace the original and do not appear original nor do they wire the same requiring a work-around to ground a terminal plus hot wire and sender wire. Make sure the polarity is correct also. You can check the gauge by grounding the sender terminal. With and without ground and the gauge should read alternately "full" and "empty". Then check the resistance of the sending unit from "full' to "empty" with a multimeter set to OHMS. There should be a range of roughly 20-60 ohms I think. Any questions ask Jerry at Evergreen Restorations advertised in Two-Cylinder. Of course another issue is a short in the sender wiring which would ground the signal but this is not common. The sender housing must be grounded to the tank and tractor. Check for complete ground with a multimeter. I always bench test the fuel gauge with the sender before installing them.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, you "must" be sure you have the proper gauge to match the system, tell me is it 12 or 24 volt, console or not..and I"ll give you the correct part numbers...

LonM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would add to make sure you have the correct sender for your year of 3020, as the early vs side consoles had different ohm specs in the senders. Ours always read full too and I fought that for a long time before I double checked the part number! Good Luck, LonM

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.