Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2N running good then quit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2N-6Volt-Brother was driving it today from Dad"s house to his other place(7 miles)to disc deer plots--cranked perfect-drove it wide open for about 6 miles-it started spitting sputtering and it died...my over-the-phone mechanicing points to a firing issue..grounded plug to head and said it had no fire...My Dad went on and bought new points and condenser(he dressed the old ones today and still no fire....he got the new ones but not installed yet...I will go to his place tomorrow a.m.--first plan to check for fire to the coil..if none will jump the switch and check the ballast resistor---if fire to the coil but none to plugs will try another coil(known to be good)If no go, proceed with points and condenser install and check for short out in distributor at the three or four normal places...What am I forgetting? Suppose to rain tomorrow so might not get to do anything to it..Its out in the open and no shed nearby anywhere..Thanks

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put a test lamp iline to the coil and run her over.. should BLINK... tells you alot if it does, doesn't come on at all, or stays on steady...

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here you go...........

No use letting a perfectly good post go to waste just because the guy asking the question has a sidemount distributor!
Failure points on frontmount

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce-always good to be reminded occasionally how to do all the test the right way.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Soundguy-will do this first.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what this means.."No use letting a perfectly good post go to waste just because the guy asking the question has a sidemount distributor!" 2N obviously is front mount.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looking forward to the post back

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It means that my post was initially & incorrectly made to a guy w/ a sidemount distributor. So I just 're-used' it for your question.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it blinks it means the points are making up. If it doesn't blink it means either the points are not making up or the coil is not making continuity or no current to the coil etc. If it stays on it means there is a short circuit to ground somewhere in the distributor or maybe where the circuit goes through the distributor housing.(the stud) It should be insulated from the housing. It it is grounded just remove it and run the coil wire directly to the points and condenser. If no fire to the light at all look in the ignition ciircuit. Switch, resistor and or wire.

Zane

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got there this morning and my Dad had the new points and condenser installed in the distributor--He and my brother thought they had them set but they had them set much too close-changed that to .015.Checked and did have voltage to the coil--we installed the distributor and it fired up like it always has.. Brother disced and my Nephew and I sewed fertilizer and seeds-got two big deer plots planted with Rye grass and clover...got soaking wet--a welcome rain just in time after the seeds were down...and I'm back home by 12:15...productive morning.. feels good now and then. Thanks for the help.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not sure why you are telling me this?

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2N running good then quit Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot..got t going this morning.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.