Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

860 PTO Clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgriff543
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got my new 860 home from Kentucky and hooked up the brush hog yesterday and went to work. It started out ok but after 20 minutes it stopped. I don't remember hitting any stumps and the hog turns by hand. I stopped and re-engaged the PTO and it started to turn for a couple of minutes then stopped again. This is a 5 speed with the double clutch and after looking over the shop manual I'm afraid I have a clutch job in my future, unless I'm missing something?

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="mgriff543"](quoted from post at 06:47:35 09/29/12) I stopped and re-engaged the PTO and it started to turn for a couple of minutes then stopped again. quote]

It sounds like your PTO is disengaging on its own, not a clutch problem... I've never had to deal with that problem, but I've read about it here. An archive search should yeild some answers.

terry274
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On some tractors there is a snap ring on the PTO shaft inside the housing that can break or come off the shaft. This can cause the PTO handle to become disengaged as the bush hog PTO shaft moves. The repair is fairly easy and simple I have heard, I have not needed to do it. As the other poster stated, search the archives for more/better information. A service manual would be a great thing at this point.
Terry

mgriff543
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I worded that poorly. The control lever is not moving from the engaged position, but the PTO slowly stops spinning. Does this still mean the problem could be in the linkage?

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Means that either your clutch disk is worn out, or (hopefully) the linkage needs to be adjusted. I haven't had a live PTO tractor in years, so I can't say off hand exactly how to adjust it... your manual should tell you.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for kicks, is the pto shaft spinning, and the shear pin bad?

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like your clutch is slipping to me. I'd try to adjust the clutch linkage first. If you decide to replace the clutch, its not too bad a job. Just a bit pricey. Figure $400-600 for a replacement clutch and throw out bearing. I would add a pilot bearing, 2 input shaft seals and a gasket. I just replaced the one on my 660 with Tisco clutch and CNH seals. Its working great so far.

mgriff543
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I wish it were the shear pin but it's intact. As it stands there's 2" of clutch pedal free play and the pedal is 10.5" above the floor boards where the manual indicates 1.5" and 9.5". I'm on my work stretch now so I'll be adjusting next week.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 860 PTO Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have an inch and a half of free play, your problem is not adjustment. Slippage occurs when you have no free play, and because of the design of the 860 clutch, the transmission clutch will slip when you run out of free play, not the PTO. If the PTO clutch is slipping, it's blown.

You might have a broken PTO shaft. Given that you can pull the shaft without splitting the tractor, you might want to check that first.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.