Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

656 starter and solenoid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom8N396936
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A quick question please?
My 656 gasser will not start. I turn the key, hit button and the solenoid clicks - and that"s it. The starter was re-done by a friend 10 months ago and the solenoid replaced.
Question - if I jump from the battery side of the solenoid to the tab at the starter with the key in the run position should the starter turn? I have it in my mind it is the solenoid but I am now second guessing myself. The battery is good and the tractor will start with a pull.
Any and all hypothesis welcome.
thanks in advance

tom

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would start by cleaning all the battery cable connections at the solenoid. Look on the solenoid for the letter S. If you see the letter S there should be a wire connected to it and at your starter button. When you depress the starter button or twist a key that should send battery voltage to your solenoid so the engine will crank when the bendix drive engages the ring gear on the flywheel. You can also use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid that should make the engine crank. Make sure your brakes are set and the tranny is in neutral before trying this. If the ignition switch is in the on position the engine may start. Hal

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well on a 656 if the clutch safety switch is still hood up LIKE IT SHOULD BE your problem may be there as sometimes they do go bad > BUT you did say that the starter will click when ya push the button . So i am guessing that it is the solenoid . Some times ya can take it apart and turn the contact bolts 180 and clean up the disc . And get by for a while .

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a voltmeter or test light, hook it to the connection going into the starter. If it shows voltage when the solinoid clicks, you have starter trouble if not it is the solonoid.

Tom8N396936
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just replaced the solenoid o no luck. Must be the starter. Oh well.

thanks all

tom

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't condemn the starter until you are sure you are getting battery to the starter.

kennell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 656 starter and solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe the bendex is jammed in the flywheel. I've had that happen. Kent

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.