Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heating Oil Drain Plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
equeen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, I want to remove the oil drain plug from the oil pan again. Seems that I tightened it way too tight when I changed the oil and filter and can't get it off.

Is it safe to apply heat to the plug - obviously with the oil pan still full of oil?

Thanks.

Billie R. Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

equeen........while you could use "heat" and it won't hurt; more'n likely yer gonna haffta use a BIG 24" pipe wrench held up by a hydraulic jack held protection board and BRACE yer feet against some tire so you can gitt'chur BACK muscles into it as unless yer Poppye the sailorman yer arm muscles ain't strong enuff. .......Dell

crecca
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

impact wrench can be a life saver

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

heat is generally safe. On bad stuck ones I weld a big hex nut to them.

if the flats are good a wrench or socket ( not adj wrench ) and a pipe.

I made a plug wrench out of 1/2" plate witht he torch and a file.. can honk on it without worrying obout breaking a good wrench. can tackweld a plug head to it then grind off too!

equeen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

I especially like the hdy jack up against a pipe wrench. I don't like to use pipe wrenches or vice grips unless all else fails. Well, all else has failed. I used a 24" pipe wrench but it kept falling off. The hdy jack may be just the thing. I'm going out rat now to try it out.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ithas always worked for me.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that doesn't get it, then a BFH and a chisel on the outer edge will.

equeen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, Dell, it worked and I didn't break anything. THANKS!

Now, I'm going to follow Soundguy's advice and have a large nut welded to it before I put it back on.

Will a gasket help from getting too tight or will it cause other problems?

I made gaskets for the trans and hdy plug and no leaks thus far. Of course I don't plan to remove those plugs again for 600 or so operating hours - which means I'll likely never remove them again.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

know what I tried the other dat.. and air hammer and chissle.

took a plug out of an old N drain pan I have setting int the barn.

pan was off the engine and free so I couldn't pipe wrench it.. the air hammer and chaiisle took it off like butter. I used spray oilon both sides anyway... etc..

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

equeen wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:58:01 09/29/12) Well, Dell, it worked and I didn't break anything. THANKS!

Now, I'm going to follow Soundguy's advice and have a large nut welded to it before I put it back on.

Will a gasket help from getting too tight or will it cause other problems?

I made gaskets for the trans and hdy plug and no leaks thus far. Of course I don't plan to remove those plugs again for 600 or so operating hours - which means I'll likely never remove them again.
No gasket!!! You deserved the trouble! Wink

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it deffinately NEEDS a gasket!!

POPGUN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Righty-tighty, Lefty-Loosey- Make sure ya go the right way cause you are bass-acwards under the tractor,cheater,breaker bar,pipe wrench, lay on your back and push cheater with your leg and have tractor in gear or blocked wheels.

equeen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm bassackwards when I'm upright. It's when I'm on my back wrong-side out and upside-down that I straighten out.

Anyway, the plug is out and will go to the welder shop tomorrow for a big nut. I'll also probably put a gasket on this time. Hmmm? May just go out and do the gasket thing now.

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Oil Drain Plug Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've bought tractors that could not be moved with pipe wrench or anything. I used a torch and heated them & they came off like they were put on with your fingers. When I re-installed them I made gaskets. No problem since.

Stan
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.