Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaky Sediment Bowl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WI-Ed

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a leaking sediment bowl on my Farmall H. Do I need to replace the complete assembly or is there something else I can do? Also, I noticed the end of the fuel line doesn't fit that well in the connection becasue the end seems damaged. Do I need to get a new fuel line?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It all depends where it is leaking, and you can get parts to repair them.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the body is warped,it can be attempted to be made straight, but might break. if the gasket is old, they can be found at an autoparts store for fuel tank caps, or gas cans. threads and fittings need to br very good. All these are also available right here on this sites store (tractor Parts) they are good. Jim

Greg K
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about if it isleaking around the shaft of the shut off? I tried tightening mine up with little success. Is there some sort of packing that can be used?

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a tube of molycote 111 made by Dow-Corning. It is a non-hardening silicone that will seal gasoline.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a 2" long piece of teflon tape. Twist it into a string. Remove the packing nut from the threads, not all the way. Wrap the tape string around the shaft, and put the nut back. Do not over tighten. Jim

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a good paint job I wouldn't mess around with it. Replacement units aren't very expensive and eliminate all the problems. Otherwise most parts are available at a good auto parts store.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Sediment Bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg K wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:10:19 09/30/12) How about if it isleaking around the shaft of the shut off? I tried tightening mine up with little success. Is there some sort of packing that can be used?

I use graphite packing from Menards. Works on my MD. On my first valve I took the old packing out and on my second there was some loose chewed up stuff that I took out. I left the intact part.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.