Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My pole barn floor was supposed to be smooth, but shortly after it was poured and we started using it the top layer of the concrete started flaking and chipping off. Now that I'm retired and have sometime I'd like to patch these eroded areas so that when I roll my creeper on it, it doesn't stop unexpectedly. Any ideas of what I could use for patching and how I should do it? I'm not a concrete guy.
Thanks,
Bill

Michael Soldan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to Lowes or Home Depot,they have all kinds of concrete related products for filling,leveling,resurfacing concrete. Most of it is bagged powdered product that you mix and pour on and trowel smooth. I used some on outdoor concrete that became uneven,it worked very well and has stood up for over five years,the only drawback is color match,it being different than your concrete,but in a barn or shed it shouldn't matter and if you paint your floor it won't matter at all

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago my Kroger store had the 1 ft tile removed from the floor, ground the floor down to where the rocks were exposed, then sealed with something that looks like glass. Very cool looking. Bet it cost a pant load.

uperd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try non shrink grout ( it is used for setting machines, after they are leveled. also used under steel risers after they are leveled. I used some to repair a couple of steps, used concrete screws to anchor them.)

upred
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try non shrink grout ( it is used for setting machines, after they are leveled. also used under steel risers after they are leveled. I used some to repair a couple of steps, used concrete screws to anchor them.)

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will be hard to get a cement product to stay in the shallow depressions.Best long term bet would be to have it ground down as some else mentioned.
Another choice may be an epoxy coating to fill the spalls and coat the rest of the floor as well but the rest of the floor has to be in good solid condition or it too will flake off and take the coating with it.
Was it caused by the floor freezing before it was cured? Or was the mix off?

Bill in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get some epoxy floor paint. If you get one with 100 percent solids you can put it down 1/8" thick and it will fill your voids. I got some once from sherwin williams. It can be put down with a squeegie then back rolled with a loop roller. You will have to clean and etch the floor but in the end will have a solid and nice looking tough finish. Any other fixes will be cheaper but I would not expect to last very long.

jeffcat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitted (Scaled?) Pole Bard Floor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to let you know you got a crappy load of cement.! If it was lousey cement,it could be poor quality-was on the truck too long-the driver added water after the chemical reactions started-weather was too cold-weather was too hot and the cement was not covered with some straw to slow the cure-it was "worked"too much. All kinds of stuff where people don't know what they are doing will cause cement to flake like that. Working the cement too much realy messes things up. Another thing is dirty sand. It must be washed and just a little clay will cause the same thing. The Romans knew how to do it right over 2000 years ago and then the world forgot!!! Real Hydaulic cement is only about 150 years now? Romans had it way back then. Neat stuff!jeffcat

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.