Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PTO extension?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmall-1965
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a 656 with a Duall 320 loader with a Prince pump on the PTO and I want to put a snowblower on the 3 point and run it with the PTO? Is there an extensnion for the PTO shaft or what do other people do, I can't be the first person to want to do this, Thanks!

Hayfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might check withg Prince, I hae seen advertised a shaft that works out the back side of the PTO pump

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are pto extention shafts out there.But they move everything back pretty far.Your snowblower may not want to hook to the pto...You may have to just 'pull' the pump and hang on the back during blower times.OR...you can install a "power beyond" circut on your tractor and completely eliminate the pto pump.Steve

Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hub City Gear makes them. They sell through dealers such as farm supply and industrial power outlets.

Surplus Sales in Lincoln, NE also sells them.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wardner, could you please provide a link to what you think will work for this application?

I assume the OP is imagining some sort of "male-male" adapter, with one end that plugs into the back of the pump and the other protrudes for hooking up the snowblower?

What is going to hold the extension into the pump? If you just shove it in there it is going to walk back out in about 5 seconds with the snowblower attached.

Can the pump withstand transferring power from the tractor to the snowblower? I sincerely doubt that the pump was designed to handle much more than the power required to operate itself.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to find something like this if available. I went to the Prince site but didn't see anything. If anyone knows of one please post here.

Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, I'll give you the shaft (url).

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-2938-6&catname=powerTrans

This is one shaft but they have others. Search on "splined".
Surplus Center shaft

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ones I have used have a female on one end and a male on the other.Besides setting the end almost a foot further back,those things tend to put a fair of side thrust to to your tractor shaft.I do NOT reccomend you use this for that application.

Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Prince Pump doesn't care about loads after. It has a continuous spline front to back. However, one should consider mounting the pump rigidly. It will be easier on the tractor PTO bearings.

I have two pumps and neither has a set screw in the splined bore coupling. If the splined shaft were bored, I suppose one could run a threaded rod through it and cut threads in the end of the tractor PTO. With a rigid mount pump, one could use a flanged bearing and set screw after the pump. A cheap way out is to cut a groove in the extension shaft for a snap ring.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

flhr62
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: PTO extension? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

farmall-1965 wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:31:57 09/30/12) Hey guys,

I have a 656 with a Duall 320 loader with a Prince pump on the PTO and I want to put a snowblower on the 3 point and run it with the PTO? Is there an extensnion for the PTO shaft or what do other people do, I can't be the first person to want to do this, Thanks!

Tractor Supply

Extension Adapter0271033

In Stores

$26.99 Compare Compare
* Adapter with 1-3/8 in. male 6-spline on one end* 1-3/8 in. female 6-spline on the other end
Splined Conversion & Extension Adapter, Male Shaft 1-1/8 in. 6 Spline, Female Shaft 1-3/8 in. 6 Spline, Ext. 3 in.0271025

In Stores Only

$17.99 Compare Compare
* Male Shaft 1-1/8 in. 6 Spline* Female Shaft 1-3/8 in. 6 Spline* Ext. Length 3 in.
Splined Conversion & Extension Adapter, Male Shaft 1-3/8 in. 6 Spline, Female Shaft 1-1/8 in. 6 Spline, Ext. 4 in.0271059

In Stores Only

$19.99 Compare Compare

Last edited by flhr62 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.