Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N Ignition Switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anvilheadtexas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been a VERY LONG time since I posted. My life has taken me beyond 8Ns temporarily....but I am back! Question. When trying (and I say that with a lot of frustration) to replace my *N ignition "button" the other day, I attempted to simply unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. No such luck. The old one refused to budge. I gave it all the umpf int he world, dorked up the switch but made it come loose. However, it will not screw out? it just turns and turns? Some parts of the turns are harder than others? Is it cross threaded? How do I undo this delema. THe good news is the old one NOW works (dorked up and all). What started as an inagural welcome back project turned into a night mare.....help me long lost 8N friends!!!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anvilheadtexas wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:44:20 09/30/12) It has been a VERY LONG time since I posted. My life has taken me beyond 8Ns temporarily....but I am back! Question. When trying (and I say that with a lot of frustration) to replace my *N ignition "button" the other day, I attempted to simply unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. No such luck. The old one refused to budge. I gave it all the umpf int he world, dorked up the switch but made it come loose. However, it will not screw out? it just turns and turns? Some parts of the turns are harder than others? Is it cross threaded? How do I undo this delema. THe good news is the old one NOW works (dorked up and all). What started as an inagural welcome back project turned into a night mare.....help me long lost 8N friends!!!
It doesn't "just screw out". Need to remove cover & work from under cover.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm assuming you mean the push button on the top of your transmission cover?
The hole has flat spots on the sides, as does the switch, and a nut on the
bottom under the cover.
You need to remove the cover and take the nut off the bottom to get it out.
You will want a new cover gasket or it will leak.
On the 8N, there is a spring under that little out-dented loop at the back.
You will want to be careful not to let that go flying.
HTH

Anvilheadtexas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes! That is what I am talking about. Now, what challenges are in for me regarding the shift stick.....should the tractor be in neutral when I take the cover off?

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This proves you should ask questions BEFORE you do something.Not an ignition switch,its a starter switch.When some one wants to change the switch I ask how do you know its bad?How did you test it?Most cant answer.You could have a bad solinoid, broken wire from the switch to solinoid,loose battery cables, worn starter brushes.Tell us why you wanted to change the switch.

rlpintx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know that it has to be in neutral but did mine that way and it was very easy.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Ignition Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ARGH!

ge a manual please.. or ask first before damaging things!

as has been said.. cover has to come off.. then there is a tabed washer to bend a bit and then a retianer nut to remove.. thent he button comes out.. new one goes in with gasket.. etc. plus gasket on shifter cover...

watch the tab in the back as the spring may stick to it..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.