Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting ready to start the M after a complete engine overhaul, went to see how the new clutch felt and when I stepped on the pedal it seemed high, is that where its supposed to be or do I need to adjust it and how do I do that correctly? I replaced the pressure plate and clutch disk if that matters.

thanks guys, Anthony

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you mean by: Too high?

There is only one adjustment: Pedal free play. It will need to be adjusted after replacing the disk and pressure plate.

IIRC the distance is something like 1-3/8" measured flat across between the top of the platform and the arm of the pedal.

You adjust it using the threaded clevis on the clutch pedal. Remove the pin, loosen the lock nut, and turn the clevis in or out as needed.

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess what I mean is that I only have a few inches of travel in the pedal and I had a lot more before. Im guessing that because the last disk was almost shot and the new one has tighted it up....I just want to make sure I dont mess something up, thanks for the help ill check that measurement.

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anthony I adjust my Hs and Ms so the clutch is engaging after you let up on the pedal around the 3 inch range. Sounds like you are good to go.

Nebraska Kirk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BigTone wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:21:01 10/01/12) Getting ready to start the M after a complete engine overhaul, went to see how the new clutch felt and when I stepped on the pedal it seemed high, is that where its supposed to be or do I need to adjust it and how do I do that correctly? I replaced the pressure plate and clutch disk if that matters.

thanks guys, Anthony

You need 7/8" free play in the clutch pedal measured between the top cover and the pedal.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the fingers are not to be contacting release brg, when engine running at max. rpm. thats why you need free play adjustment. the manual has the procedure. simple to adjust clutch rod. the only thing you will mess up is if the clutch is to tight with no freeplay. have seen this in gravel trucks with a new clutch that didnt last more than few days just by the guy too lazy to adjust freeplay.

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M clutch pedal adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be a square headed adjustment bolt on the bottom of the pedal, it has a larger lock nut on it. See if it may be screwed in too far limiting the pedal travel.
The owner's manual has the adjusting procedure and sequence to get the adjustments of both free play & travel.
Do you have an owner's manual?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.