Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD Paint ?'s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeereM50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wondering what is the best paint I can use when I get to the point of painting my 1950 M JD? I"m done with the cheap stuff that I have been using for years.

I know there is a ton of options and I want to do it right the first time and have shiny paint for years to come.

I"m wanting to go with a single stage Urethane. I think I can get PPG and Dupont at Napa. I have no ideas what the paint codes are for either. I expect to pay alot of money for good paint so that won"t scare me away. Just getting ideas. I may start peddlin with painting some small things. Thanks for any help.

JohnDeereM50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm open to bc/cc also...i use the cheap line of it at work. I've read the single stage urethane can be clear coated which sounds like the best option or maybe not clear it at all?

thesmoothedeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Research some past threads on here. Tons of info in archives. U'll need full fresh air mask going into the harder paints.

Ray
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John deere paint will last a long time if you use hardner.Never saw any automotive paint that would match the JD color.

thesmoothedeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will add my two cents since the The Smoothed Deere is painted in the "Cheap Stuff" Even the Motherdeere paints will look brand new if waxed and kept outta direct sun. My tractor still looks pretty shiny and it's been 6 years on the repaint. It does chip easier but when u use a really good primer it seems to help.

M-MAN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The single stage urethane doesn't need a clearcoat. FIT has posted the paint codes in PPG & Dupont if you'll search the archives.

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am curently a fan of the Nason line in DuPont (I think it is DuPont, but Nason for sure). It has been a while.

you can get that stuff locally thru ORilleys.

ArnieinChesterfieldVa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've thrown these questions at folks over the past couple of years too about the paints. The conclusion I've come upon (might save ya some time) is one thing to be fearful of using anything except the authentic John Deere paint from the dealer is they like to take on a bluish tint after a period of time. Apparently the good dealer paint will not do that. I've seen a couple at shows that have turned that bluish tint....not a pretty sight. JMHO
Arnie

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been painting everything with NAPA urethane and am pleased. It goes on well and dries hard. I would recommend 3 coats if you really want it to look nice.

Cockbird_Hunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From a technical chemistry view, John Deere dealership paint is modified alkyd enamel and offers the POOREST UV protection/fade resistance of any paint line. It's 1930's technology@!!! Also, hardener has nothing to do with improving UV/fade resistance.

My suggestion would be to do an experiment, for I have. I painted two implements, one with dealership paint & one with automotive single stage urethane & left them outside for six months. RESULTS: Dealership paint faded significantly & no change in the urethane.

I suppose dealership paint is fine if you never take you equipment out of the shed.....!

PPG, Dupont, Sikkens, 3M, and other leading paint manufactures distribute paints that match John Deere green & yellow well. You just need to do your homework!

The attached was painted (1 piece at a time) w/ PPG products.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: JD Paint ?'s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Problem I had with trying to buy it was the yellow. Not all paint with the JD Yellow label is canary yellow. Some of it has a golden tint to it and it is obvious that it is not JD.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.