Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SC front wheels for wide front

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just picked up a wide front for my SC and I want to put it in place of the narrow front I currently have. My question is can I use the heavy front wheels from the narrow front or is there a different set that I need to locate? I heard that there is a special wheel that is specific to the wide fronts, is there any truth to that. If so, what does it look like so I can locate the correct ones. Thanks Brad

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjustable wide front SC's used the same cast wheels as the narrow front. DC's could have cast or pressed steel rims. Later SC 4's used a little different looking cast wheel.

Christopher J. Mikesell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a 16" 5-bolt cast wheel that was an option for the late-style wide front SC. My 54' SC-3 has these wheels. Also, I have compared my front wheels to other 15" SC cast wheels, and my wheels are actually a little heavier both because of the larger diameter, and because the casting is a little "fuller" (there are no stylized reliefs). I understand that this wheel will not fit below the front of a narrow-front tractor because the tire will rub.

Christopher Mikesell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am gussing that for most years of production the SC wide front would use the same wheels as the narrow front. Thus, I assume that a 41' SC with a wide front would have stamped 15" rims, and the later SC's would have 15" cast rims. Then they changed the hub on the wide fronts to accomodate both the SC and DC bolt patterns in the late 40's. Before the two bolt patterns, both the SC and DC wide fronts used the SC 5-bolt pattern, and all of the DC wide fronts used stamped 16" wheel up to that point. After the new hubs came out, the DC used the same 16" cast wheels on both the wide and narrow fronts.
Thus, most SC wide fronts have hubs with only the 5-bolt pattern that is the same as for the narrow front. As a result, narrow front 15" cast wheels will fit, as well as stamped 15" wheels.

C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1949 SC has the same 15-inch cast iron wheels as my 1949 tractor with the narrow front.

Wade Stem

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: SC front wheels for wide front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have those cast wheels for sale. Where are you located?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.