Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

450 ft pounds!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see that the rear axle main nut needs to be tightened up to 450 ft pounds - guess I am going to have to put a large pipe wrench on it with an extra piece of pipe to lever that down!
I dont even think my torque wrench setting goes up that high.

Lee

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not that much really.
If you weigh 150 lbs, hanging on the very end of a 3' long wrench would get you there.

CJ in Michigan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2' does it for me-

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CJ in Michigan wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:40:33 10/02/12) 2' does it for me-

I guess that compresses down the inner rubber seal on the spline of the axle as well to make the hub seat properly?

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee........NO, the BIG NUT only touches the shoulder of the splined axle thru 1-washer. Look at yer FO-4. And YES, 450ft/lbs BEFORE you put the snap-ring on the outside of the BIG NUT. Iff'n yer really sphincterly challenged, you can RENT a 3/4"-drive torque wrench with 1-15/16 socket. And NO, you don't want to buy a 600ft/lb 3/4"-drive torque wrench. ........the tite Dell

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL
We must weigh about the same amount.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a cheater bar and stand on it! 450 ft-lbs means "real tight".

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about a 2" 3/4 drive socket?

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put RTV on the splines to prevent fluid leaking through.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

makes ya wonder what the actual torque reading is,
that you are applying, when you are trying to get a stubborn one
loose that has the threads bottomed out Very Happy

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, did that, got it tight - but assuming I can really crank down on it when the wheel is back on?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In theory yes in reality no...

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=938730&highlight=bounce

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:12:16 10/03/12)
In theory yes in reality no...

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=938730&highlight=bounce

No my friend - this is basic physics pure and simple. Torque is torque - friction has nothing to do with it. A 150# man on the end of a 3' bar produces exactly 450 lb-ft of torque. Jumping on the bar simply produces more than 450 lb-ft of torque becasue you are using gravity to "increase" your static weight (force) with an acceleration force.

Friction enters the picture when we try to use torque as an indirect measure of the clamping force (tension) created in a threaded fastener as we tighten it. That friction varies with the materilas the fasteners are made from and the condition of the threads (oiled, greased. plated. etc). All of those factors are already included by the engineers in the 450 lb-ft specification for tightening that nut. Applying a greater torque simply produces a tension greater than the engineers wanted.

TOH

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you wait the RTV would have set up and tightening more may "break" the seal. I put a rod between the lugs for the wheels and braced it against the ground when I tightened mine. Gerard

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 450 ft pounds!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are up to a challenge...

Loosen the lug nuts on your car/truck lay 100lbs on the end of a ft bar to tighten the nuts then go drive it... Make sure you insurance is paid up....

Let us know how it works out for ya...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.