Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soder33
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This was on Shorpy yesterday. Must of been a demonstation of the winch attached to the Fordson.
pulling stumps

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sure wouldn't try a direct pull of a stump from the drawbar with that short wheelbase tractor; it might just flip over backwards on a direct pull.

Ozlander
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:18:19 10/02/12) I sure wouldn't try a direct pull of a stump from the drawbar with that short wheelbase tractor; it might just flip over backwards on a direct pull.

I don't think so.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you blow the picture up and look under the front axle, there's a heavy cable hooked to something not in the picture. Even the old boys were'nt stupid----

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Soder points out, there is a winch being used here. I"m guessing that the front of the tractor may be secured to an unseen large stump as I can imagine the tractor being pulled backwards if it were not and they were pulling stumps with any size to "em.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really good photo of the old tractor.

Looks like they are pulling pine stumps.

Key to removing pine stumps is patience.

After several years they rot and turn to "mush" and can be pushed over or "mashed" down.

Another good thing about pine is that the don't sprout from the roots like the hardwood trees.

Thanks for sharing the photo with us.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you! I didn't see that. I couldn't figure out what was keeping the tractor from moving.
I also can't figure out why the rear wheels are up on a board.

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can imagine the cable breaking and part of it flying back at the tractor like a slingshot.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

peculiar way the stumps are cut. Before the days of chainsaws. Looks like notch & backcut were both made with crosscut saws.

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fordsons were known to flip over then Ford started to put fenders on them. I played with one as a kid and it had some decent torque.

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this was done by Ford, they probably had some engineer design a torque multiplier the attached to the winch. We may never know...

440roadrunner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo of Fordson Pulling stumps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rickieblue wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:21:52 10/02/12) Fordsons were known to flip over then Ford started to put fenders on them. I played with one as a kid and it had some decent torque.

Yup. My dad told of snaking trees out of a swampy, cluttered area on Gramp's place when he was young. The tree he was skidding hit a stump, and there were roots down under the wheel lugs, giving it GREAT traction. He said that ol radiator cap went up so far and so fast he just couldn't believe it. He thought he was a goner. Somehow, he got the clutch in and down it came.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.