Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lawn mower oil filters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry 4

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why are small engine oil filters so exspensive? [ have both a kohlor and a techompsee, both oil filters are over $12 each. does anyone know of a fram or other filter to cross reference?fram oil filters are about 4bucks.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Economies of scale.

Items made in large quantities can be produced for less cost than similar items made in smaller quantities because fixed costs can be amortized over more units.

Dean

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA fleet department or even Autozone/Car quest/Bumper to bumper should be able to get them. Look for a online filter cross reference and cross your Kohler or Tecumseh filter number. They are probably a common filter also used on something else. Example early Toro grounds masters used the same oil filter as a Renault LeCar and their Hydraulic filter is the same as a VW type 4/Porsche 914 oil filter. Used to get Fram filters for Onan twin cylinders, (don't remember the engine model) and for Kohler 582s and I'm using a WIX for my 22HP Onan Wheel Horse. You may have to do some of the parts research because so many auto parts use a menu driven computerized system with out all the applications listed and they're driven (the computers) my minimum wage zone employees, but the parts are cheaper.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be able to cross most filters to Wix. Just go to a 'better' auto parts store like Napa or Car Quest and see if they can cross it.The comment about scale is very true. A lawnmower filter can cost $12 while a filter slightly bigger for a Chevy 350/305 etc. can cost $2.55.

luv2wrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cub Cadet oil filter $16.

A/C Delco filter $3.00

Kawaski filter $22.00

A/C Delco filter 5.00

Matt in the Thumb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know the common current Kohler and Briggs filters cross to a Fram 3614. It"s a filter used on Dodge Neons, PT Cruisers, etc. Not sure about the Tecumseh, but I"m sure it could be crossed as well.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They should be normal small diameter 3/4-16 filter. Kohler used to just have 2 filters, a long and a short, one used to cross directly to a Purolator L10241 IIRC. The easy way to find one that fit was to look up what fit a Yugo, any Yugo.

Ford/Motorcraft FL-400 may work for you too, just it is twice as long.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the prices at Rural King.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the supertech 3614 for my kohler and I think Its 3967 for my kawie, that one is the same on my wifes Toyota rave 4!!! the small engine companies are just ripping us off, they don't make there own filters, somebody makes it for them.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many oil filters are interchangeable. There are only a few different threaded hole sizes but many different physical filter sizes.

Gchase24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to Fram.com. You can cross referance the oem filter number to a Fram number. I was paying $24 dollars for a mini excavator filter from Kubota and $6.00 for a Fram filter to fit the same machine.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really dont rememeber where I use to get them from, either Advanced or Autozone, but the Purolater was only like 4 bucks. I get them from my local guy now, Wix for like 3 bicks each, but I buy like 10 at a time.

MeAnthony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Briggs & Stratton mower engine has standard 3/4 x 16 oil filter thread. Fram PH3614, PH3600, PH16, PH43 and PH8A are identical in terms of thread and gasket, only difference is size of the filter can itself.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a Motorcraft FL400s as a replacement filter on a Briggs V twin...it has a micron rating of 18 as opposed to Briggs filters which are 23 or 24 and the FL400s has filter media area of 148 square inches as opposed to Briggs standard black filter has 48 sq in and the premium orange filter has 96 sq in. The motorcraft is a little longer but I have plenty of room for it on my Snapper Pro.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: lawn mower oil filters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get Wix at O'Reileys for a lot less than that! If you ever read the test done on filters you would never use Fram. I used to have lifter rattle on one vehicle and when I quit using Fram it went away. One reason some smaller filters are more expensive is some have check or relief valves that others do not. I usually look it up myself at home to make sure I am getting the right filter. I would never use one just because it screws on!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.