Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gas odor from inside car

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd 2N in mo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to get gas for the Ford tractor and put it in the back of my Ford Escape. On the drive home the blitz container cracked and now I have gas and odor in the cabin of my car. I have removed all of the items that I can, carpet and pad. Any good ideas to help get the odor out of the car outside of a good hose down?

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drive with the windows open for a few days.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toss in a dead fish, and you'll forget about the gas smell in a day or two-----

Lamar Fudd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I understand clear vinegar will work. Wipe down the interior with it, spray on the carpet and then blot it dry with paper towels and let it air out in the sun. Might still need an open bag of charcoal in a pan to absorb the odor.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The car dealers have an ozone treatment that seems to work pretty well- seal up the car and pump ozone in- it oxidizes the odor molecules. Not just a cover up.

What somebody mentioned about the dead fish also applies to a gallon of milk you got from the dairy down the road, and cross- threaded the lid so it comes off when the jar falls over. Don't ask me how I know.

Red1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rd 2n in mo wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:52:33 10/02/12) I went to get gas for the Ford tractor and put it in the back of my Ford Escape. On the drive home the blitz container cracked and now I have gas and odor in the cabin of my car. I have removed all of the items that I can, carpet and pad. Any good ideas to help get the odor out of the car outside of a good hose down?

I've had some odors that saturated the inside of my vehicles from time to time...Crack the windows a little and put a small fan inside..run it all night on low...helps a lot..

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sprinkle a little more gas on the carpet & light a match? Go to a commercial cleaning supply store they'll have several de-odorizers and odor asorbors that'll counteract or asorb the odor, kinda like an industrial Febreze. Ozone also works but I'm leery of it for a few reasons that might not be rational.

Hal/Eastern WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may want to consider replacing the carpet and pad. That will hold the odor for a very long time if you put it back in.

It could be a lot worse. Gasoline eventually mostly evaporates. Diesel or heavier oils take LOTS longer, if ever.

I think I would try washing out the affected area with detergent and hot water and then rinsing well. You will probably want to leave the windows at least partially open for a while, and use the fresh air setting on the heater or air conditioning. The odor should fade away within a couple of weeks, depending on just how much was spilled and how well you were able to clean it up.

But I would sure plan on installing new carpet. Good luck!

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will dissipate with time. Eventually you will no longer notice it.

Dean

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's got to be nasty ! The gas these days really smells. It even sticks in a closed container.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Odo-Ban. Available at Home Depot and some Sam's Clubs. Get a gallon of concentrate, dillute with water in a spray bottle and spray all affected surfaces.

CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You old time truckers should know. The worst smell I ever came across was the drippings off green hides, that we used to haul. The only thing that helped was new coffee grounds. Fresh out of the package, sprinkle them around and let sit.

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I usually just tell my son to roll down his window for a minute and usually it's gone.
Ron

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Throw a match in.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: gas odor from inside car Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RBnSC wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:03:44 10/02/12) I usually just tell my son to roll down his window for a minute and usually it's gone.
Ron

I'd be afraid he'd get dizzy or pass out from the fumes and have an accident.
Depending on the amount of fumes of course.
They do dissipate fairly quickly, so airing it out a few days may be a good option.
And don't smoke while driving. Wink

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.