Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't have my camera with me last week when it was nice out and I was out and about checking on some of my friends at their bogs. I did today and this was the best I could get in the rain. This is wet harvesting Early Black variety cranberries. They flood the bog, the machine lightly beats the berries off the vines, and then they are racked and pumped off. The berries float because they are hollow in the middle. My friend is hoping to get 150 barrel to the acre of this piece (100 lbs./barrel) which is a normal size crop for the variety in our area.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hotflashjr,
Neat photo. Looks like you do not want to develop a flat tire in the middle of the field.
Thanks for posting.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't see in the pic, but is that guy wearing waders in case the machine conks out or gets stuck in the bog?

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes he does and it is for any reason you need to get off the machine. There are ditches along the edge of the bogs and the machines do fall in those from time to time if you can't see well in the water. They use flags to mark off areas where you don't want to go. You can see a bright pink one by the machine and a green one in the front. The green mark off the ditches in this case and the pink is marking the center line of the bog. The vines are trained to grow in a pattern around the bog and if you pick against the grain you rip them out.

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That could be a pain but the machines are so light they can be pulled out from dry land without much effort. Just have to have a long rope.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wish us guys out in the Midwest couldharvest strawberries or blueberries like that.

Sean Feeney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you on the Cape, in live in Falmouth

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cranberry Harvest in full swing in MA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in Plymouth, these shots were taken over on the Carver/Middleboro line.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.