Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

164 engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldo case
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever removed the sleeves on a 164 and used the block for the cylinder? Are they thick enough to bore a little? Just doing some thinking, Thanks for the help! You know how idle mines do!

rdrash
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmm very interesting question. I would imagine it would be cheaper to fix what you have by new sleeves but if you are building a puller that might be worth looking into.

Trevor

longcases

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the sleeves and take the block to a competent performance machine shop and have them sonic check the cylinder walls for thickness.Don't want any thing under .125 thousands.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard that some 164 engines have sleeves,
but all the ones I have seen are bored block
with no sleeves. Maybe you have a block that has
been sleeved to get back to std bore.

george

Eldo case
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FYI all 164 engines have dry sleeves.

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CASE built replacement blocks after 1960 that did have wet sleeves. Never seen one, can't find info on them, only sworn testimonials by those in the know.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John weren't those 159 replacements I have heard about?? cnt

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be, but never heard that before.

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom

No they were actually 164 CI wet sleeve replacements. Case Service Bulletin 68-61 published on 10/24/61 titled "Short Block Assemblies Furnished by Rock Island Works" listed all engines by part number. The list indicated the 164 dry sleeve engine was discontinued but it listed a 164 ci wet sleeve along with the 148 ci, 159 ci and 188 ci variants. I have a copy if the bulletin around here somewhere but can put my fingers on it...

I have a 164 ci wet sleeve block that was part of a salvaged 611B I bought a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Joe Young on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
rdrash
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 164 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think you r both right. Case built a wet sleeve g164 to replace the original motors that were failing and what I heard was when that supply ran out they modified g159s to fit on the 500b and 600b tractors. And that is what I have. A g159 that has a 2 bolt starter and a head off a g164 on a 510b. With numbers on the block that don't match anything as far as what tractor it came off.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.