Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked a tire dealer..after he wanted over 130$/tire..whether anyone has ever come in with bare rims and said put on the cheapest 16 inch tire you have..balance, and I'll take the old ones home, and mount the new ones myself...thus avoiding those costs..

He said yeah,,,doesn't recommend it ....does absolve him from any problems the buyer might have....

P235/65R16...03 saturn vue....cheapest I've found is over 600$/4 tires..and I know I've seen other vues with something along the size of 215/60R16..

thebigyellowtruck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

walmart carries the size tire your looking for
between $100-171 depending on the tire.

tomturkey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bought a 235R6016 just last week for my daughters 2001 Merc Van 124$ total. included dismount remount balance recycle fee for old tire. Hancook tire Adel Iowa, Dallas County tire

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just checked prices @ Costco; 245/70/16 Michelins rated for 60K miles are $168 each plus $15 mounting charge. $732 for 4 tires plus tax and disposal fee.

I put 80K rating Michelins on that vehicle in 2005 that cost me $5oo out the door at Costco.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

be glad you don't own my f450 dually with 19.5" rims... I needed a spare.. cheapest tire I got was 328$ ARGH!

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are going to ride in, carry your family and drive in traffic
with the lowest priced tires on the market?

Trkr

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought 8 drive tires for my truck.11r24.5 Bridgestone 726EL's.My cost through national account was $478.a piece.Asked the dealer what they list for,$799.!What the hell happened to the price of tires?

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC, NY state requires the tire disposal fee be paid up front, when you buy the new tire.

Since you're paying for it whether you actually dispose of a tire or not, you're stupid to bring bare rims to the tire shop. The only reason to keep an old tire is if you need it for a wagon or something, and then you may as well bring the old tire off the wagon in to get rid of it.

You can call it a money grab if you want, but it does cut down on people just dumping old tires on the side of the road to avoid paying the fee. Can't avoid the fee, so no point in dumping the tires.

IMHO it would be even better if it were a DEPOSIT like a beer can. You get $5 back for every tire you turn in. Of course, that might encourage theft.

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

quote"""anyone has ever come in with bare rims and said put on the cheapest 16 inch tire you have..balance, and I'll take the old ones home, and mount the new ones myself...thus avoiding those costs."""""

What am I missing here? If you bring in bare rims, aren't your old ones already at home? If he puts them on and balances them, how're you gonna mount them? Maybe it's a regional interpretation......

Red1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thurlow wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:12:03 10/03/12) quote"""anyone has ever come in with bare rims and said put on the cheapest 16 inch tire you have..balance, and I'll take the old ones home, and mount the new ones myself...thus avoiding those costs."""""

What am I missing here? If you bring in bare rims, aren't your old ones already at home? If he puts them on and balances them, how're you gonna mount them? Maybe it's a regional interpretation......

I would take the tires off the vehicle (put jacks all around)...take them off the rims myself and take the rims in for the new ones, have them mounted and spin balanced, I would take the old ones home and throw them in the pole barn...I could probably find 4 @ 55$ to 65$ per .....for a total of around 300$...

Thing is, if you tell the dealer what you drive they will only price you tires for that vehicle...If I tell them its for a toyota camry.....cheaper by a few hundred...

Yeah, I know..frustrated...township trustee, who lost his election a month ago..put tons of river rock down (4 years ago)..and folks are torqued off...no one is getting 1/2 the mileage the tires are warranted for...before this clown was elected I was getting within a few thousand miles on a 50000 mile tire....now not even 20000. New trustee won't enter the pic until 2013..and he ran on the platform of "I will fix the roads"...

Appreciate the feedback. Undoubtedly I will end up paying around 140 - 160$/tire...balanced..valve stems and tire disposal fees...Which are itemized separately from the other costs...

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

havent you been watching the presidential smear ad campains? japanese tires have a tarrif now to "protect" american workers. 1000 uaw tire workers protected from competing against cheap jap import tire prices. Oddly enough the american consumer pays the price ,but who cares,as long as we can say "buy american". Cant have it both ways anymore it seems,either a cheap japanese tire price or a expensive american tire price for those who want them. When americans cant compete we just level the field. Of course the japanese have gotten a little smarter also,they immediatly placed tariffs on american goods ,so more american workers suffer when what few manufactured goods we do still make wont sell overseas . BUT the UAW is happy thats the main thing!LOL

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

15 years ago I lived in Tennessee, not to far from
Union City where Goodyear had a tire plant. Goodyear
wanted to go to continious production (run Sundays
with no over time). They put it to the Union and
they voted it down, the next day millwrights were in
the plant diassembling tire machines, seems that
morning Goodyear decided the plant was slated for
closure. Goodyear paid good wages, most folks were
making over 50K if they had been their for any
length of time. The Union scheduled a new vote and
the membership accepted the continious production
and avoided plant closure, IF folks could "trade"
their Sundays with another worker, Goodyear agreed
provided they didn't inccur any overtime. Seems the
major objection to Sundays was from about 6-8 folks
that were also Pastors for small congregations, some
were being paid cash and I suspect they weren't
declaring it. Those 6-8 people worked the rest of
the membership up into a frenzy and almost cost them
jobs that were paying almost twice the local
average.

Ray
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't see what you'll be saving if they mount and balance them,just putting them on the vehicle doesn't cost any extra.I just put 6 new 16 inch on my ton truck,$1200.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy tires online, UPS delivery mount them myself and bubble balance them, no problum.

hd6g Tom
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunatly the dealer must put the required size back on the vehical, he cannot by law, put the cheepest 16 inch tire he has, on the vehical. Keep your family and the other drivers on the road safe and put the tire on the vehical that it was designed to have. It does NOT absolve him from being sued by the driver you hit or run off the road because you have the wrong tires on your auto.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.