Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jacking up tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been wondering this for months now and i finally remembered to put it on here. How do you guys jack one rear tire off the ground? I was jacking up the rear u bar on my M to get a tire in the air and I bent it a little and it just looks unsafe stacking up 6x6's on top of my floor jack to reach the rear axle....I was also wondering how you jack up a narrow front end? I was thinking a 2 foot farm jack between the front tires but they are pitched or angled in to much to fit and I would like to change the front bearings at some point, any enlightenment is appreciated....thanks, anthony

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cribbing and a bottle jack works well

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use a 5 foot hi-lift jack under the rear axle housing and on the frame rail for the front end

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drive one front tire on a block of wood....I use a 'Handyman' jack on the rear axle housing.

S2710
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do the same as Delta on the front but on the rear I jack up on the U bar where the bracket comes down from the axel housing.

Bob

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BigTone wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:41:03 10/03/12) I have been wondering this for months now and i finally remembered to put it on here. How do you guys jack one rear tire off the ground? I was jacking up the rear u bar on my M to get a tire in the air and I bent it a little and it just looks unsafe stacking up 6x6's on top of my floor jack to reach the rear axle....I was also wondering how you jack up a narrow front end? I was thinking a 2 foot farm jack between the front tires but they are pitched or angled in to much to fit and I would like to change the front bearings at some point, any enlightenment is appreciated....thanks, anthony

I use a floor jack, but get it as close to directly under the axle bracket as possible. The horseshoe may bow a little bit, but it will straighten right back out when you let the tractor down.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> ...it just looks unsafe stacking up 6x6"s on top
> of my floor jack...

It is. Do it the other way around. Better yet, get a big bottle jack.

gene nehring
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Lifts should only be used by your uncle.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi lift jack!

Hi lift jacks have a bad reputation and can be dangerous, but work great if your smarter than the jack.

Chock front and off side rear wheel. Block in front and back of tires. I lift directly on the axle housing. I also try to make sure I'm on concrete. Trying to do this in the dirt adds difficulty but can be done. I built a 4"X12"X12" pad out of a treated 2X12 to set the jack on.

I built some wheel chocks out of 6"X6" treated post. I cut it lengthwise, corner to corner, with a chainsaw to create 45 degree angle that goes up against the tire.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

U bar is bending????

Are you putting the jack under the U bar at the MOST rear point of the tractor where the drawbar would swing OR point where it meets the mounting angle at the axle housing(Where it should be. Smile If you have THAt much "flex" in your U bar I would be concerned. You might also consider adding another one beneath it("doubling" it up) They were prone to break under HEAVY use!

The bottle jack on SECURE 6x6s works well if the tractor is PROPERLY wheel chocked! DO NOT let it roll off of the jack with the rear wheel off!! Disasterous !!!!!! Use GOOD jack stands. NO junk!!!

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Normally we put the jack under the U-bar as close to the drawbar axle bracket as possible. That way it's pushing up on the bracket not the U-bar.

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking up tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike, when I first got the tractor I had no tires/rims on it and it had fallen off the blocks that were under it so the only way to jack the tractor up was to put the jack under the u bar corner and it bent it a little. I now have tires/rims on it and can get the jack under where you said but it just doesnt seem to be safe enough, i like the blocking/bottle jack idea more. thanks for the help

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.