Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 220 square baler-knotter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaver

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a case baler...we don't use much and have not had 2 long...we normally round bale...anyway when we use it, it typically misses about every 6th bale or so tying on one side...the other side never misses...thoughts on how to fix appreciated.
We are really not that familiar with square balers and this is the only one we have ever owned. We usually try to stop and manually tie the one side before it comes off the baler, but makes the process slow. Thanks Reaver

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most knotters are all the same - at least the way they function. Several causes for eratic knotting. Best to get a knotter manual, or better yet a baler manual for that particular baler. I"ve been fighting with a NH baler for a while. Various types of faliure can be traced to certain problems with the knotter - what is your exact failure mode? Several things to check: Wear in the knotter mechanism. Are the hay dogs all operating OK, springs intact? Check the plunger forwear, damage, excessive play. Needles coming in appropriately into the knotter? Are the twine fingers properly adjusted?
Mine, we got adjusted properly and a little while later the mechanism that drives the twine fingers was bent AGAIN! GRRRRR! (Also ended up rebuilding knotter with most new parts.)

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also make sure that the knife is sharp that is suppposed to cut the twine - and properly adjusted. The knife arm is maleable iron, so it can be bent to adjust the knife to the proper clearance to the knotter. Also check the clearance of the wiper arm; that is maleable iron also so it can be adjusted with a couple of crescent wrenches.

If there are any old guys around that ran a binder, they might be able to help you get the knotter adjusted right. You might even look closely at the knotter that is working right and see a difference for the other one not tying right.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for anybody to help you on line you need to say what it is doing, loop on one end of twine, no loop, broken knot ,ect. then you can trace it to the part of the knotter that needs attention, I had some twine in my 200 that it would not tie on one side, switched twine and the problem went away.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a link attached to a post on this forum a year or so ago that will take you thru the complete tying cycle and show you what you need to do. most balers all tie in about the same way. check the archives & if you can't find it email me and I'll send it to you this weekend when I get home on my personal computer. Keith

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 220 square baler-knotter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are using 10000 twine switch to 9000, I had the same problem and that solved it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.