Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Corkum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IS this a good durable machine,I am locking at a used one asking $1000 is this a reasonable price ad says it is in good condition.Does not look too bad on top by the picture.What should I look for if I investigate it further,and What HP is required to run this machine?

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This site likes to confuse the inch and foot symbols, so I assume you are asking about a 42 inch brush hog, and not a 42 foot one? Smile :)

They tried explaining that once, I got confused, but for some reson, this sitwe will often mix those 2 keys up.

--->Paul

David Snipes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a Woods Dixie Cutter for 30 years and it has always been reliable and tough. The only expensive part would be the gear box. Just make sure it isn't leaking and the input and output shafts have lille or no play. The only thing I've put into it is a new set of blades. Don't know about the price.

David Snipes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to address the power requirement. I have run in light material with 22 PTO hp, but more is better. I've run it effortlessy with 56 hp.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Woods (I think it's 60" wide, but could be a bit more?)rotary mower brand new in 1966 for $700 to use on the farm to mow the yard and chop down sunflower stalks. Later I gave it to my brother and he still uses it to mow the yard and top cut along the road ditches. Had a few blades changed (sharpened lots of times) over the years but that's about all. He uses it with the 1953 8N that he bought when he retired.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, agree. We all need to go with "in" or "ft".

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Woods cadet 60 pull type in 1974. It has never been outside over night and looks almost new. Never had any problems, gearbox is tight. I would buy another one. Ellis

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Woods 42 ' rotary mower (3 pt Bush Hog type) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always inspect the condition and "Feel" of the Bearings..maybe it has never been Greased..
Open the oil fill plug (if it has a gearbox) and get a dab of oil on your finger and look at it....does it look like the proper oil and does it have any metal chips in it..?
42" is pretty durned small..what are you using it on..?
Even an IH Cub will handle 60"....

Ron..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.