Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LARRY CAIN
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BOUGHT A 1950 8N THAT HAS SIT FOR 2 YRS. OWNER
SAYS IT RAN WHEN HE PARKED IT. WHAT SHOULD I DO
TO IT BEFOR TRYING TO START IT?

Andy C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck! Check the oil and coolant and put a gallon of gas in it. Then put a battery in it or tow it off and see what happens! Pretty good chance it will start.
Good Luck and let us know,
Andy

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go a little farther by checking the air filter for debris and/or nests, clean and re-oil; pull the plugs and put a cup of atf mixed with diesel in each cylinder and let it sit for a day or two to loosen and lube the rings; then remove fluid (may have to pump it out by cranking engine); at the same time look for any water in the cylinders; while you're at it do a compression test; check radiator for any obstructions; check trans, etc for water, if found drain and replace. Check engine oil for water/anti-freeze and replace oil and filter; Check each plug, clean and regap; check all electrical connection to make sure bright and tight. That should get you going.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

#1 loose the cap lock people do not like to be yelled at. #2 put say a 1/4 cup of ATF in each cylinder and let it sit over night that way. #3 clean the points or replace the points. #4 pour some gas in the tank and pull the carb drain plug and let some gas flow out of the drain plug hole. Catch it to use it and make sure it is not full of rust from sitting so long. Then give it a go and it may just run

BDT in Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two years is not that long.... check All the fluid levels, drain the carb and clean the sediment bowel if needed, check the air cleaner, and battery condition.. ... Try staring it.. Bring a can of fresh gasoline along,

Phil9N3667
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, if you want really good advice on this besides the other good previous replies, go to the 9N/2N/8N board! You can also download BruceVa's 50 tips to help you out.

Randy Roberson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING MY 8N AFTER 2 YRS. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Started one just like it a few months ago. Engine was free, cleaned out the gas tank, carb (carb has to be clean or it won't run right, ask me how many times I took this one apart)put in a battery, points and plugs, and busted her off. She ran very nicely, too, they are sweet, gentle machines when they are halfway right.
Engine stuck: try oil in the cylinders (usually only one cylinder is the problem) and try rocking or moving the crank with a wrench or bar. Get too rough and maybe break a ring.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.