Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission oil for farmall 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old weldor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1955 300 farmall I bought this summer. I loosened the drain plug on the rear end to see if any water was in it because I plan to use it for snow removal this winter. Only about a couple tablespoons of water came out, but the oil behind it looked like cottage cheese. I didn't let much oil out to see if it got better. The owners manual says 80 w. some say to put HY TRAN in it if I drain all the old oil out,but it doesn't leak now and I don't want to cause another problem. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The original manual for the 300s does say to use 80W oil. After many TA failures IH changed its mind and decided that Hytran was the way to go. If you plan on using your tractor in the winter I'd go with Hytran or some generic copy of it.

I don't know if the later manuals for 300 reflect this or not, but the manuals for the 350s definately say to use Hytran.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't have a TA or its already out on the low side I'd put what wich ever one you could find cheapest.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hy Tran . And before i would put Hy Tran in if it is that nasty now a good flush with ten gallon of diesel and a couple trips around the yard . Then let it drip dry then fill it.

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are two square headed plugs on the left side.
The front one (torque tube) is filled with hytrans, this is for the T/A & PTO disconnect.
The rear one is for the tranny / differential this one is filled with 80w per the manual, I used 85-140 in mine and it quieted it down quite a bit.
After draining, fill both up until it just begins to run out the plug hole.
The front one takes almost a gallon & a half, the rear one will use a five gallon bucket, and betwen one & two more gallons.
One of those hand pumps with a short hose & curved metal end that fit over a five gallon bucket comes in real handy.

Last edited by rhtx55 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor vet has it right. Hy tran in everything except the motor.

RPM1941

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say a good Hyd/trans oil if you are in colder regions because it would circulate better in the cold, gear oil solidifies. The oil should be changed yearly according to IH, your oil is overloaded with water, good HYTRAN is formulated to turn to calf S#@T color when saturated with water.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The clutch/TA housing and the rear frame have oil passages between them. Doesn't do any good to use two different oils. They will soon all be mixed together.

Lynn Kaufrmann
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil for farmall 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I first bought my 300, I changed all the fluids and used 80w in the transmission and such as the IH tech said to do. I drained HyTran out of it. After 8 months of additional use, the overrunning clutch went out. So the TA had to be replaced. I use only HyTran now and would recommend that. The IH tech said the clutch was probably going bad when I bought the tractor and I really finished it off by using the heavier oil. This oil prevented the rollers from rolling up and wedging correctly.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.