Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi-Lift Jack

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate V. IA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These jacks are handy as a shirt pocket, I don't see why people hate them so much. Unless you've tried to use it for something that it wasn't intended for.

Some safety rules for using these jacks:

It is basically a bottle jack that has a longer lifting distance before you have to reset with cribbing.

Just like a bottle jack it is not intended to be used as jack stands, that's what cribbing is for.

If what you are jacking is going to move forward/backwards, left/right more than an inch or two when you start jacking then you're doing it wrong.

The base plate is small, don't use it in the mud without a large piece of 2x12 under it.

When you start letting is down maintain control of the handle at all times, if it gets away from you run like he!!

One more tip, all lifting jacking devices are dangerous if used improperly.

Nate

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How is a High-Lift like a bottle jack? Other than they both lift.One is mechanical and the other hydraulic. WAY different types of jacks. Just trying to understand what you are getting at.

NEKS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a friend that the handle come up and hit him on the side of the face, Now he has no use for them. They are handy though. You are right, hold on to the handle when operating them.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We welded a 6 x 8 or so plate to the bottom of ours. Keeps it a lot steadier and don't sink soft ground so bad.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nate, I understand your comparison to a bottle jack.

Justin SE IOWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Uncle ernie he is saying they jack STRAIGHT up and down just like a bottle jack. Yes I agree they are alike.

Last edited by Justin SE IOWA on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Want to know how handy a Hi-Lift jack is? Try using a cheap jack and you'll find out how great Hi-Lifts are.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the more dangerous tools ever made. Used one, never owned one, never will.

Ken 46
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several high lift jacks and various exper
inces with them.
I am NOT an expert with them-- but they are like snakes -- You NEVER know when they are going to bite you.
I have used them to jack up tractors, pickups, even used one on a JD stackwagon when the hydrauslic cylinder broke ro raise the roof up and down. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good pocket knife will bite you too, if you don t use it right. I have three of them.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more safety tip:

NEVER put your hand on the top of a high lift jack while it has a load on it! I saw a guy get caught when the car rolled forward and pinched his hand between the jack and the car. Somehow, three of us kids were able to roll it back and let him get free. It would have been a long day for him if we hadn't been there. Of course, wheel chocks would have kept it all from happening, but. . .

Paul

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You bet........ Got mine in the mail from HF.. Was on sale for like 30 bucks.
The little hair thin clips holding the pins broke right away and lost pins. Neighbor kid's dad borrowed it and made all new pins on his lathe and drilled for drift pins instead of the clips. Good as the big buck ones now and I have to track it down and "borrow" it from one of the neighbors when I need it.....

I don't understand the bottle jack comparison tho....

Last edited by dave2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive had a Hi Lift jack for about 50 years.I would not buy a copy.If you get stupid with tools they will get you.The original HiLift has heat treated parts.Two friends used to bum mine and go on 2 week hunting trips.When they had it I didnt.Finally told them to buy one of their own.A lot of borrowed stuff never comes back.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just like with buzz saws, gasoline torches, chainsaws with out brakes, etc, Hi Lifts get a bad rep from people that engage the hands before the mind. Wonderful tool, useful tool, wouldn't be able to get along without mine. Same for my railroad jack which is basically a shorter, much heavier version.

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"They both jack straight up and down"...
Can't say I have even met a jack that wouldn't do that. One of the features of a High-Lift is that it WILL do more than jack straight up and down. You can lay them on their side and use them to move or straighten. Try that with a bottle jack. On the other hand try putting a high lift underneath the middle of a building foundation where you have to access it in a tight crawl space!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.