Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall B Left Brake Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkmdg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Farmall B Left Brake Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the great privelage of being able to track down my grandpa's 1945 Farmall B. It is in very good condition, but an issue I came across was that the left brake is having some issues. When I first got it, it took a lot of effort to even push down on the brake pedal and an even bigger effort to push it back up (pretty well frozen). The return spring is free and the brake shaft to the band seems free. After some PB blaster in a few spots the pedal is a lot more free, but does not retract after pushing down on the pedal. To get the left brake to even grab, I have to almost push my foot into the ground. When it does grab and I release on the pedal, the brake releases but the pedal doesnt retract/return.

I'm really trying to narrow down the issue. Is the brake band rusted down, or is it as simple as adjusting the brake?

I am really tempted to open everything up to try and get to the left brake band. Is it just as simple as unbolting the entire axle housing from the transmission case (looks like four bolts) and slide the axle away to expose the brake drum (obviously have to unbolt the drawbar too)? Or is there more disconnecting inside than what I am seeing?

I appreciate any thoughts!

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B Left Brake Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like the brake band and drum are all rusted up and not grabbing.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B Left Brake Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to add that there may be oil all over the brake band also. I had to put new brake bands on my Farmall H because of leaking oil seals spilling oil all over the drum and band. Put new seals in. Has great brakes now with the new bands.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall B Left Brake Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have a broken pedal return spring. Not totally sure, but think it may be under the seat platform. Sometimes the bands rust totally in two, but since your brakes work that's not your problem. I&T manual explains it pretty well.

Morris Krodle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall B Left Brake Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went thru a "45 B, new brakes etc. Sound like the shaft that the pedal is on is still seizing, that shaft also hinges the clutch and has a support on the trans tube that need lube,also since it"s the left side, the brake and drum are right nest to the trans and likely you have a trans seal leaking oil. Look under the axle housing and clean out the drain hole to insure oil is present. It"s not too hard to replace the brake and seals on either side.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.