Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wife bought a gas can

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked my wife to buy me a gas can at "walmart" as she came home today and then stop and put $12 of gas in it for the 51 VAC Case. One of my old cans got stolen last year I need at least 2 cans.
The junk she found at "walmart' was almost impossible to use on the VAC.
It takes at least 3 hands to use it.
When are we ever going to get back to the days of practical things to use on the farm.
Richard, sick of the idiots telling us what is best for us

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looked at one the other day, couldn't even figure out how to use it. Thanks California!

ray hofstetter
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta agree with you - some of these new gas cans are impossible to use, you have to have some sort of advanced mechanical degree to work the spout. Hope my old gas cans last as long as I do....

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They have made the "safety" devices so unusable that everyone defeats them.
Obviously much safer that way. Shocked
If they set where there's any heat, since the vent is closed unless pouring, they
will suck the sides in and collapse so you may want to leave the lid loose.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I couldn't leave my wife having to refuel the generator if power went out while I was away, using those new style cans that take 20 minutes to pour five gallons. I got out my 35 year old Eagle can with the spring handle and attached funnel. dumps in about thirty seconds. Then I got a second one. I can't afford those $15.00 plastic ones that last two years.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We aren't.In it's quest to protect us from ourselves.....our 'wonderful'government is forceing everything to be"idiot proof".the "idiot population"is the fastest growing segment of country,especially the 'policy makers'.

JWalker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not the best solution, but a drill with a tiny bit makes a great air hole.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Talk to your farmer neighbors and have them save you some 2.5 gal herbicide containers. Save the box too so you have 5 gals that can't tip over.

Berth 29 opinions
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new ones we have in Maryland, the spout fills up with spiders. End up just taking the spout off and using a funnel from the 1950s for my grandfathers McCormick.
Heard also of one of these plastic cans bursting, no venting.
Also they wont let you gas up those other 5 gallon containers here.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'd have been better off to send her to a yard sale or flea market to get a good one.

Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GordoSD has the correct answer. I have several of them. Diesel winter additive came in mine. I use nothing else.

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

best vent addition that i've seen is a valve stem from a tire without the core. remove the cap to vent and reinstall to make it tight.
drill the hole and string the stem in with a thin peice of wire.

Andy Appelfeller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

!Get on Jegs wesite and order their fuel jugs. Oh they can not call them that anymore. They are square or round and have a vent cap. I buy the round five gallon. The two gallon are square. I have been using them for years the farm. Only way I have been able to avoid the junk. My two cents worth!

Walt Davies
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the spout off one of your older can and use it
Walt

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife bought a gas can Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fleet Farm still sells Jerry cans for 30 dollars. They will out last any walmart can out there I bet!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.