Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

small crawler ????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGBADDEERE

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm looking at a 440 dozer..cant afford really anything too expensive..is this a pretty good little machine to clean up some fence rows and small trees,nothing bigger than half dollar size.good and bad about this little crawler please..p.s.its a gas machine..

Barry Dodier

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD440,might b small in size,but trust me,if you have patience and like to do your own work it is a great tractor,i have a jd-mc 101 net hp,gas and it woill do a days work,i have backfilled my house fondation in nh-serious hardpan-pulled full size pine logs when clearing my land24^x 40-50ft log,don't have a shuttle clutch but o well!they r great and my uncle used to repair,sell and operate tractors and he said the mc was a nce tractor just slow,he new what he was talking about-mc is smaller than the 440 and much older

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

101 net HP? 101 is close to the cubic inches of the engine.
Richard

Resting Relics 1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Big bad,
The old 440 was a good small dozer. You have to remember their getting around 55-years old. Check the bottom out well. You can drop a lot of money on rollers, idlers, sprockets and chains if their shot. check the reverser to if it has one. Good Luck!
John

ben70b
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dam, that must b a hotrod mc, i think they where around 18 hp originally? anyone know for sure?

nlastovi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It wouldn't last too long at 100 HP :D

Last edited by nlastovi on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIGBADDEERE wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:21:24 10/04/12) i'm looking at a 440 dozer..cant afford really anything too expensive..is this a pretty good little machine to clean up some fence rows and small trees,nothing bigger than half dollar size.good and bad about this little crawler please..p.s.its a gas machine..

You really have to check the under carriage good. Chains, sprockets, rollers, pins and bushing are expensive to replace and on that old of a dozer can be hard to find. If you don't know what you are looking for take someone with who knows about these things.

For what you want to do a TLB or skid steer would work too. Like with a skid steer the 440 will take some time. Me, given your options, I'd buy a dozer if I could! I love em. But unless you are looking for a toy besides a worker it may not be your best option.

Rick

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That must be one of the rebuilds that includes a turbo, intercooler and regenerative ETD pack with TA kilowatt amplifier......

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: small crawler ???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

101 is the displacement of this engine. Ranges from 20-30 hp.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.