Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Transfer Pump Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aug

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Tuthill/Fillrite knockoff fuel transfer pump I bought new a month ago. Have only ran maybe 150 gal of diesel through it and now you have to loosen the filter from housing to make it prime. Not a big deal but is really a pain and makes a mess. This thing is SUPPOSED to be new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take it back where you got it. Should have a warranty doesn't it?

Aug

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying it at a whole sale type tool store while on vacation. I paid $199+tax for pump, hose, and auto nozzle which I thought was a good deal at the time...

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull it off the takn and check that the dip tube has an air tight seal to the pump. An air leak in that tube will make it lose it's prime.

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are finding out why it was half the price of a true Fillrite pump. My brother just loves the great "deals" at HF and Northern Tool. Whenever he does anything it takes twice as long because he is using JUNK. He has two of those Fillrite knock offs. Neither of them work right either. On the one you can hold the hose down by the ground and it will usually prime.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AH!! the old "thought it was a good deal at the time" gag. LOL I've fallen for that one myself.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why is the filter on the suction side of the pump? My fillrite is on the outlet of the pump, no problem priming when its that way.

Aug

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The filter is on the outlet side. When you start
it nothing comes out but as soon as you loosen the
filter from the housing it will start pumping
immediately. I'm assuming doing this removes the
air??

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aug wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:32:22 10/05/12) The filter is on the outlet side. When you start
it nothing comes out but as soon as you loosen the
filter from the housing it will start pumping
immediately. I'm assuming doing this removes the
air??

I'm not sure why it does that, have you tried a new filter?

Aug

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Filter is brand new

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you still have the paperwork that came with the pump, isn't there a phone number in it for service? Call it and tell them what it is doing.

Dave in Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Jon said, tighten the suction pipe. Just went thru this yesterday after putting new gears and all in it. Had to loosen the filter to get it to prime. Resealed the suction pipe and works like a new one.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We removed a transfer pump from an old B29 airplane at work and you didn't need to prime it. I was 24 volt, but it would work off 12 volts. I used it to pump out my fuel oil tank when I painted it after it was sandblasted. I think it had 1-1/4 pipe threads. We used 3/4 hose along with 3/4 to 1-1/4 pipe bushings. Still would pump a lot of fuel quickly. That plane had nice pressure gauges on it. I still have one. Hal

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.