Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1070 PTO don't shut off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Well I got to use my 1070 tonight (Thursday) to haul manure. As I was letting the tractor warm up, I noticed the PTO shaft was turning. I tried to disengage the lever a couple of times, but no luck. Does the PTO turning all the time while the engine is running going to hurt it? I don't use the PTO a lot, but more in Winter with a snowblower. Is there something I can do to fix this easily? I don't have a shop manual yet. I have a neighbor across the field from me that is a Case mechanic too. Thanks everyone.
Kow Farmer

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it running full power/speed, or just kinda loafing along at 1/4 speed with very little torque behind it?

If at full power could be as simple as a broken cable.

We have a 7 and 870 that just kinda idle at a very low speed when not engaged. Something like a small square baler it will turn at a very reduced rate, a feed grinder or spreader that requires more torque don't turn until you engage it. Both have been this way as long as I remember. While they may not be "right", 30 years doesn't seem to have hurt them.

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi RG,
The PTO is running at full speed without any implement hooked on, I mean it doesn't slow down or speed up. I did notice if I had the manure really loaded that the PTO will not turn then. My biggest fear is when I put my double augered snowblower on for the Winter. Kind of dangerous with the PTO constantly on. Thanks for responding.
Kow Farmer

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt, If the cable is good you are going to need to pull the pto out. I have seen when guys let the pto run all the time like this the friction plates will cut into the drum over time. There are a number of things to look at when you have the pto out, Kurt give me a call.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the adjustment of the cable. Might not be moving the spool far enough. Don't have the book here to check what it says.

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will have to call you when I get some more time. Maybe you can walk me through it? I appreciate the help.
Kow Farmer

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my guess is with Agri King also if you need/want the service manual scaned for the steps let me know cnt

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty,
Could you please scan those for me? That would be very much apprecited sir! Thank you very much.
Kow Farmer

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

will do send me a e-mail stan2670@collinscom.net and I will send as attachments so you can print them if you like cnt

grandpajohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I already have the manual scanned and available on my wedsite. Just go the the user manual section and then to case you will see many manuals including the parts manual for the 1070 and the entire service manual.

gramps
service manual

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 PTO don't shut off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the great info! I appreciate it very much.
Kow Farmer
(Kurt)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.