Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you could.......

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you could make any changes to a Farmall M to make it more usable today what would they be? Think like money was a consideration.

I'm not going to commnet as I think most of you guys know what I think is wrong with the M for todays needs.

Rick

F-Dean
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live hydraulics, power steering & 3-point -- all standard

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live/independent PTO, live hydraulics, 3 point,
power steering and differential lock.

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Power steering, live hydraulics and a 3 pt. hitch would make life MUCH easier for me.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH realized the shortcomings of the Farmall M, so they introduced the 400 and then the 450.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MisterT wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:26:21 10/05/12)
IH realized the shortcomings of the Farmall M, so they introduced the 400 and then the 450.

LOL I know that. I'm going to be farming fulltime in the spring. I have a 1206 (used year round), the M which isn't or hasn't been used much and a couple of Ford 8N's that get used a lot in the on seasons but not in the winter. I just picked up an IH 85 Grinder Mixer and can run that and the poo spreader with the M and am thinking that up grading the M would make it more suited for what I need. Replacing it right now just isn't in the budget. So I'm fishing for ideas. I need a field cultivator and a combine much more than I need to trade/sell a traactor for an up grade.

Rick

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just thought of something, could you imagine how much more useful the M would be with 4 wheel drive!!

Andrew Z
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lower first and reverse gears standard.

Funny thing is that what everyone is saying was
around as either factory/ aftermarket or could be
taken from a latter series, ie the 400/450.

Andrew

flambeauone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Add power steering, saginaw three point, and live hydraulics.
Maybe a 560 wide front or a shwartz with some float tires on
front would also be nice. A nice seat with a backrest is also
high on my list. As others have said dif lock, lower gears and
gour wheel drive would be awesome but not very practical
on a budget.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live hydraulics. I'd be fine with the five gears if it had a high
and low range like our 856 and 966 had. I love the narrow
front, but I would love to have a little different design so every
other tractor you look at didn't wobble like a drunkard.

Did I mention hydraulics?

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, for me it would be a differential lock. That would make ploughing easier on occasion. Also an instrument lamp for the ammeter, so it could be seen at night. It's a small thing, but I don't like having instruments, which cannot be seen all the time.

IHC made some improvements to the M out here, which included three point linkage with the hydraulic cylinder INSIDE the gearbox lid and altering the swinging drawbar to strengthen it and make height adjustment easier.
1st gear on many Farmall M tractors here was a low speed gear as standard. By the time the AW-7 Diesel was made, a low low first gear was the norm.
Basically other than the differential lock and ammeter lamp, I wouldn't change much. I just work the tractor with old IHC and Sunshine equipment and it performs admirably all the time.
SadFarmall

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old SM is JUST FINE the way it is.It has live
hydralics and a 3 point.M/W live pto.Power steering
would be nice(some times).If an M had all those
'modern' improvements,It just would'nt be an M!BTW,I
just spent several hours 'seat time' on my "Super" today.
<):^)

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Durable paint. Better seat bushings (urethane)
Better starter drive. Two stage clutch for PTO/s.
All fixed on the 400 (except better paint). Jim

Old Iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '49 M has Char Lynn power assist steering w/wide front end, live hydraulics with a DuAl loader, and a Saginaw 3pt.

Plus a set of tire chains for snow pushing.

Live PTO would be nice,... but the old M is a handy son-of-a-gun just the way I have it set up now.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could....... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just the spreader and feed grinder? Sounds just about right.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.