Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viscosity of Hy-Tran

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super-H-Mike
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have recently been given a 30 gallon barrel of new Hy-Tran oil and am wondering what all I can use it with. What is the viscosity of this fluid? Lift-All ? Letter series rear end? It does seem thinner than 80 wieght. All my tractors are older than 1954.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is something close to a 20W or 30W oil but made with additives to work as a hyd oil or a transmission oil or even the rear ends.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Equivalent to SAE 10. Use in any tractor with a TA. You can use it in the letter series, trans/rear end but it might leak, and it does not slow the gears as much as 90, etc. OK in old lift all, and should be used in any tractor with a live pump.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A quick Web search indicates that the viscosity of Hy-Tran is equivalent to SAE 10W30. In addition to any application calling for hydraulic fluid I"d use it in any none-high-temperature application calling for SAE 30 oil. I wouldn"t use it in an engine.

Super-H-Mike
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen. I may elect to use it in my non-working tractors rear diffs,because I got the oil free and at least one of those tractors has some moisture in the current rear end oil. And the Lift-Alls of any of them.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

80W is a gear-oil designation that is roughly equal to 30W engine oil.

Using engine oil viscosity numbers, combo-trans/hydraulic oil from all the big suppliers is 20W for regular grade and 10W for winter-grade.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, Hytran is not multivis, it is single grade SAE 10. I think I saw the same post that you did, that doesn't mean it is correct. In trying to ease the shifting in my 460 I am now using a SAE 20 version, it does not cure the problem, but helps.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see there is no agreement on the viscosity of HY-Tran fluid. We are always told in service training it was multi grade. It does hold it's viscosity very well when it gets hot which indicates it has substantial viscosity index improvers
added. Earl Kramer preached this many times. There was two weights back in the 90's but I don't know if there still is and I never saw the lighter weight. It was for severe cold weather operation.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't believe the viscosity index of HyTran matches up with any motor oil, straight weight or multiweight. As I recall, depending on the temperature you are looking at, it is somewhere in the 10 or 20 range of motor oil.

Jamie1975

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hytran is an ISO46 and it is a straight weight.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case also sells an HTO additive, if my memory is right, that you mix at a certain ratio with 10w-30 for use in hydraulic systems.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If we're going to get fussy about oil here, then the "W" is not used with a single-viscosity oil.

The W stands for WINTER, and is only used in conjunction with multi-viscosity oils, such as 10W30.

There is no such thing as "30W" oil. It is SAE 30, or 30 weight.

This has been a fussy oil controversy moment, brought to you by our fine sponsors, the monkey and the football.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes W is for "winter". True there is no 30W. However, there are 10W and 20W.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So what weight are they in summer?

That makes no sense. What good is a "winter" rating on a single-grade oil?

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Viscosity of Hy-Tran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of things don't make sense until you understand them. This is getting far from the original question in this thread, but here goes.

The winter weight oils have to meet a set of viscosity specifications that are mostly separate from the other weights of oil. The only common viscosity spec is minimum kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees C. Additional specs for winter oils are all at lower temperatures, for non-winter oil the others are all at 100 degree or higher temperatures.

The winter oils each have a maximum viscosity at a specified low temperature that varies by each weight. They also have a maximum pour point/pumping temperature for each viscosity rating.

The non-winter grades do not have to meet any of the low temperature tests but have to maintain minumum shear rate viscosities at 100 and 150 degrees centigrade.

Multi-weight oils, such as 10W30 use viscosity index improvers that allow them to pass both the low temperature tests of a 10W grade oil and the high temperature tests of 30 grade. Straight grade oils do not contain viscosity index improvers.

Simple isn't it?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.